How O need the OCLT be?

KKell

Jul 12, 2015
Rochester, NY
I just started a new SLAM because I suspected Algae.

Relevant stats are:
Pre SLAM PH: 7.4
CYA: a bit less than 40
FC: 16

I got too busy working on renovation stuff and just got to testing my water at 1:20 AM (I had added one more FC on a hunch at 9:00PM which got me right on the money for 16 at this test).

Sunrise is officially at 5:33 AM here, but the pool is west of the house, so it is a bit in the shade at first. If I measure FC at 6:30 or 7:00, is that long enough that less than 1 FC loss is significant enough, or is that too short? Right around the solstice and in upstate New York there isn't a lot of night to do this test.

I read a couple of other threads I found searching for OCLT threads but I didn't find anything that said less than 1FC in x sunless hours is the good spot. Also worth noting: No bathers today, but lots of dead bugs, leaves, and general tree junk in the pool. Other relevant details if anyone wants to know: I used my brush head vacuum on the whole pool after I got the shock levels up earlier in the afternoon, so everything was stirred and sucked into the filter. I also added some more DE. Oddly, after a while my filter pressure dropped (It went from 14 to 15 after I added DE, then went up to 17, and after a few hours back to 15). And after I connected my vacuum and turned on the pump my return spewed out a cloud of dark stuff, no idea what that was about.

Thanks for the help.

Great, thank you. I just did the test (been 6 hours, and no direct sunlight) and I got 17 FC and >0.5 CC, clear water.

I've never before tested higher FC on a subsequent test (I made sure to get the water from the same spot), but I guess my water wasn't mixed enough last night. Still, I don't think I would have been off by more than 2.5 FC as I had not put enough chlorine in the pool to even get to 18.5 FC, so I'll assume I passed. That was the shortest Slam ever, I guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.