LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
Stockton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been using bleach for several years now. Pool water is clear, no evidence of green. Trying to keep FC 3.5-4; CC always 0-0.5. I find each day it drops from 4.0 down to 2.5 by evening. Based on pool calculator, I add 42 oz. of 10% bleach each night. Last spring I drained about half our water because of high hardness; we are in a drought, and can't replace water very often. In the process my CYA dropped way down to near zero. I added liquid conditioner, cautiously, trying for a CYA of about 30-35.

The CYA, by the disappearing dot test, is around 30+. So, should I try to raise it up to 35, and maybe have less daily chlorine loss, or should I leave it as is, and keep adding 42 oz. of bleach each night?

Many thanks.

Add your location to your profile over there <---- so we can make a better recommendation on your CYA level. Generally, higher CYA means lower daily FC loss.

Here you go with my location.

I know about higher CYA. My problem is that when we are away, we use pucks, which drive the CYA up. A couple years ago, before I knew about TFP, I used pucks all the time, and had CYA above 80, with all the headaches of Cl, etc. I could not get rid of it, because I couldn't drain the pool. So, I'm very cautious about adding stuff, that can't be gotten rid of.

Hence, my question about the trade-offs at CYA levels around 35. My records show that at higher CYS, say 40, my FC will drop around 25% each day, from 4 to 3, then I add 28 oz. Cl. right now I'm going from 4 to 2.5, and adding 42 oz Cl. I pay around $3.50 per gallon of 10% bleach. Looks like the extra 14 oz. costs me about $.38 per day.

Thanks for any input.

Here you go with my location.

I know about higher CYA. My problem is that when we are away, we use pucks, which drive the CYA up. A couple years ago, before I knew about TFP, I used pucks all the time, and had CYA above 80, with all the headaches of Cl, etc. I could not get rid of it, because I couldn't drain the pool. So, I'm very cautious about adding stuff, that can't be gotten rid of.

Hence, my question about the trade-offs at CYA levels around 35. My records show that at higher CYS, say 40, my FC will drop around 25% each day, from 4 to 3, then I add 28 oz. Cl. right now I'm going from 4 to 2.5, and adding 42 oz Cl. I pay around $3.50 per gallon of 10% bleach. Looks like the extra 14 oz. costs me about $.38 per day.

Thanks for any input.

Only loosing 1.5ppm chlorine a day is very good. If it were my pool I would be happy, trying to finesse CYA for .5ppm chlorine loss seems like more work than any real savings

Thanks to pooldv and oldguy70 for your rational comments. I just finished adding the nightly dose. Doing so means lugging the gallon jug, plus my measuring cup. With some mobility issues, this could be what pushes me to increasing the CYA, and therefore being able to carry the bleach only in my measuring cup, which holds 36 oz. Picky, picky. I'll think it over a bit more, but very much appreciate your advice.

Since switching to TFP methods, I spend a lot less on chemicals, and have many fewer containers to deal with. And, touch wood, I not had algae or any other invaders. I have converted a few neighbors, as well. Now, if we could just have some more rain each winter... Thanks, again.

Be aware SWG can produce scale, sometimes enough to be a problem. Rare but I am one of the unlucky ones. Working with Hayward and others here to resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.