Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't hold chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't hold chlorine

My PH & stabilizer are both good but I've gone through 11 lbs of shock & keep loosing my chlorine level? HELP

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Can't hold chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

The most common problem that causes higher than expected chlorine consumption is algae. We kill algae following this process, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

Hi, welcome to TFP! What we call good and what pool stores call good are two different things! Could you please post the most recent set of test results you have? Also is the shock you are using dichlor/trichlor or calcium hypochlorite? Did you add all the shock at once or over a period of time?

In order to help us help you please update your signature to include:
    pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached). Also please include that you are on well water or under water restrictions if those conditions apply to your pool. It will show up at the bottom of everything you post and it is easier for us to help you if we don't have to search the thread for this information.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Rocklin Ca

I don’t post to often since I started following this forum once I learned the basic from this forum (and follow them) I have a great looking pool and relatively easy to maintain. My suggestion buy a quality test kit (TF100) realize that pool stores are more concerned about cleaning your wallet. I do buy chlorine from the pool supply much better quality than big box stores.
    The one thing I believe that goes against most people sometimes it’s best to drain the water or part of it and start from there. The average cost of water is $2 for 1000 gallons people are under the impression it cost hundred of dollars to fill a pool.
    Anyway post some numbers and pool description.
    In ground 20,000gal - pebble-tec - salt, Intelliflo pump, Sta-Rite filter 450 sq ft ,Hayward 6060 booster pump, non functioning Aqua Rite SWCG, TF 100 test kit.