Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation... Applying trichlor pucks?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation... Applying trichlor pucks?

Headed out for a week's vacation so going to use a 3" trichlor puck to keep FC level up since I can't add bleach daily. Can I apply directly to skimmer basket or do I need to get a floater for it? Any advice?
    18x33x54 AGP (18,500 gallons) - Hayward Power Flo 2 Speed Pump - Hayward 24" Sand Filter - TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation... Applying trichlor pucks?

What's your CYA and pH?
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA = 40
    pH = 7.5
    18x33x54 AGP (18,500 gallons) - Hayward Power Flo 2 Speed Pump - Hayward 24" Sand Filter - TF100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I use pucks in a float when I am gone on vacation. Since I am always having to drain water off in my pool due to rain I never seem to have a problem with my CYA getting too high. If anything, I probably benefit from the occasional use of the pucks.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Only use the pucks if you plan to keep the pump running either 24/7 or by using a timer. Just letting pucks sit in a floater won't chlorinate the pool and if the floater drifts into a wall it can bleach the liner in that spot. Never leave pucks in the skimmer basket.

If you can't have the pump running while you're away, raise the FC to shock level the day you leave.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I was planning to leave pump running (it runs 24/7 on low). With that said, it sounds like I could put the puck in a floater and be good. Is one puck enough?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Use the bottom of pool math, effects of adding chemicals. It will tell you how much FC 1 puck will give. I think most are 7 oz. of trichlor, you'd have to check what you have.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

If your worried that the floater will stick against the wall or steps you can use fishing line to keep it in the middle.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

9. Back To Top    #9

In your pool 1 8oz puck should yield about 3ppm Cl, and about 1.6ppm CYA. When I leave for a week vacation, ill put a couple of pucks in the skimmer with my pump on low 24/7, and put a few more in the floater. 1 puck just ain't gonna do it for ya.
    30'x52'' AGP 21,000 Gallons
    TWM 2.64 SF Sand Filter w/ Century 1.5 HP Pump
    BBB'er for life!
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

i am using 3 pucks for the next week but setting the floater to the minimum flow, so the pucks will last a week.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir