Minor but confusing pool chemistry issue.

Aug 5, 2012
Detroit, MI
This season it seems like my pool is trending a bit lower on the pH side, I'm not too sure what's up or if it's worth worrying about/reacting to.

I think it may have been due to a big downpour we received shortly after I opened my pool, but after my stabilizer was added and CYA was registering in water tests, I decided that I wanted to add Borates -- typically I use ProTeam Supreme Plus. In the past, it actually would bump up my pH slightly even though it's advertised as pH-neutral. This year, I would not have minded that so much since the pH seems rather low, but here's what happened...

The day before adding the ProTeam Supreme Plus, these were my numbers:

pH 7.0
CYA 30-35-ish
FC 4.75
CC 0
TA 75-80-ish
CH 80-85

I added one half application of ProSteam Supreme (per the instructions), and the following day my pH remained the same (7.0), but my TA jumped up to 100-110-ish. I'm weary about adding the second application, because I'm afraid of what it will do to my TA. But at the same time, I would also prefer my pH be a little higher -- typically it hovers around 7.4-7.6 and it normally trends upward and I'm (very infrequently) addding a bit of muriatic acid to keep it in check. Haven't had to do that this year -- could it still be the rainwater??

I am about to backwash soon (have not yet this season), so I'll likely do a bit of a water replacement then, and I would like to get my CYA up a little bit more, but any suggestions on how I can add more Borates without jacking-up my TA now? Could the rainwater still be messing things up a bit?

Yes, I've added Borates the past two years and typically both the pH and TA spikes when I add them (and it's expected... even though the product is advertised as pH neutral). And yes I've been using the Supreme "Plus" edition of the product each time.

I normally take pool completely down every year though since I'm in Michigan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.