Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Minor but confusing pool chemistry issue.

1. Back To Top    #1

Minor but confusing pool chemistry issue.

This season it seems like my pool is trending a bit lower on the pH side, I'm not too sure what's up or if it's worth worrying about/reacting to.

I think it may have been due to a big downpour we received shortly after I opened my pool, but after my stabilizer was added and CYA was registering in water tests, I decided that I wanted to add Borates -- typically I use ProTeam Supreme Plus. In the past, it actually would bump up my pH slightly even though it's advertised as pH-neutral. This year, I would not have minded that so much since the pH seems rather low, but here's what happened...

The day before adding the ProTeam Supreme Plus, these were my numbers:

pH 7.0
    CYA 30-35-ish
    FC 4.75
    CC 0
    TA 75-80-ish
    CH 80-85

I added one half application of ProSteam Supreme (per the instructions), and the following day my pH remained the same (7.0), but my TA jumped up to 100-110-ish. I'm weary about adding the second application, because I'm afraid of what it will do to my TA. But at the same time, I would also prefer my pH be a little higher -- typically it hovers around 7.4-7.6 and it normally trends upward and I'm (very infrequently) addding a bit of muriatic acid to keep it in check. Haven't had to do that this year -- could it still be the rainwater??

I am about to backwash soon (have not yet this season), so I'll likely do a bit of a water replacement then, and I would like to get my CYA up a little bit more, but any suggestions on how I can add more Borates without jacking-up my TA now? Could the rainwater still be messing things up a bit?
    Pool> Intex 15'x 48" 4,440 gal AGP Metal Frame w/Taylor Complete FAS-DPD K-2006
    Pump> Intex 56673EG 14" Sand Filter 1600 GPH

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Minor but confusing pool chemistry issue.

Have you added borates in previous years? Borates remain in the water year after year and are only reduced by dilution, (like CYA).

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Minor but confusing pool chemistry issue.

Yes, I've added Borates the past two years and typically both the pH and TA spikes when I add them (and it's expected... even though the product is advertised as pH neutral). And yes I've been using the Supreme "Plus" edition of the product each time.

I normally take pool completely down every year though since I'm in Michigan.
    Pool> Intex 15'x 48" 4,440 gal AGP Metal Frame w/Taylor Complete FAS-DPD K-2006
    Pump> Intex 56673EG 14" Sand Filter 1600 GPH