Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New sand filter and I don't have a clue

1. Back To Top    #1

New sand filter and I don't have a clue

I switched out my little Intex pump that came with the pool to a Hayward VL series sand filter/pump. I had got a little Shark to help clean the bottom of the pool and that's why stepped up in size to a 1 HP. Now I have less pressure than before. Intake and return are both way down. My PSI gauge is at 4... My sight glass has about 3/8ths of a inch of sand in it. I have the filter sitting on a stand with the top of it approx 1& 1/2 feet below the water level. My neighbor came down and confirmed that I had everything connected properly.
    Please help me! Sally
    Garner, North Carolina, Intex 18'x45" 6,423 gallons. Vinyl, Krystal clear model 635T filter pump 1500 GPH. SWG with ECO. New pool as of July 2015, Taylor test kit . June 27 2016 I just upgrade my little filter to a Hayward VL series sand filter with pump.Pentair Kreepy Crawley Shark.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New sand filter and I don't have a clue

I don't know a whole lot about sand filters but these two articles should help
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you back wash and rise the sand after filling the filter? What does your water look like?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have some specs about the filter tun? How many kilo's sand did you put in? 4 PSI = 0.3 bar that's not much pressure for sandfilter.
    40000 liter in ground vinyl pool with SWG : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...he-Netherlands

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Swimgram View Post
    I switched out my little Intex pump that came with the pool to a Hayward VL series sand filter/pump. I had got a little Shark to help clean the bottom of the pool and that's why stepped up in size to a 1 HP. Now I have less pressure than before. Intake and return are both way down. My PSI gauge is at 4... My sight glass has about 3/8ths of a inch of sand in it. I have the filter sitting on a stand with the top of it approx 1& 1/2 feet below the water level. My neighbor came down and confirmed that I had everything connected properly.
    Please help me! Sally
    Hello Sally,
    Could you post some pictures of your pool equipment? It could help with the diagnosis.

I know you said the neighbor confirmed your setup, but are you sure you are on 'Filter' and not 'Recirculate'?

Have you confirmed that all positions of the multi-port valve work as labeled?

Check to see that there is no water coming out the waste port when you are set to filter or recirculate.

Check that there is no water coming from the out (to pool) port when set to backwash, rinse, or waste.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!