Pool Blue

Jun 27, 2016
warwick Ny
I've had my pool for 16 years and never had a problem until Today. Last year my pool heater(Hayward) bit the dust so I installed a new one in July. Also a Hayward. It lasted until two weeks ago and began leaking. I'm not going to get into details with discussion with Hayward but I was told my PH was low. Funny I had the old heater for 16 years and no problems. Well I bought a new heat exchanger and figured I better raise the PH if indeed that was the problem. So I went out and bought PH + put it in and my pool turned bright blue and clouded. I never have a problem with color or any discoloration from the time I open until I close. Also I clog up my earth filter in 30min. I've changed the earth but still clogs up. I always new my PH was low but never had a problem or complaints.

I know not accurate but simple test strips now. I used to take samples to the pool store and they always tried to sell me chemicals. I put a 3"tab in a floating chlorinator and never had a problem for 16 years well as far as clear water that is.I have never had a problem until I tried to raise the PH. Why the blue. A reaction to something in the water?

What I'm getting at is how do you know your pH is low? The guess strips are often extremely inaccurate.

What at we need is a good set of test results, and that requires a good test kit. The K-2006 and TF-100 are what we suggest. The TF-100 is the best value. The easiest place to get either is TFTestkits.net

It seems like I'm trying to sell you something, but in reality, a pool is a giant chemistry set - and mistakes can be horribly expensive. Pool stores, as you've seen, like to sell you $100s in potions that font work. A good kit lets you take control and gives us the info we need to help you learn how to manage your pool.

Step one: order a good test kit!
Step two: what chemicals (other than the MA) have been added recently? Any algaecides, shocks, etc?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.