New to Forum & Confused about Pentair Pumps

Jun 27, 2016
Dallas/Texas
My pool, built in 1985, is in-ground, gunite and plaster, with about 24,000 gallons. With my current 2HP pump (see signature below), no water flows to my decorative flagstone waterfall when the pool cleaner is operating or when the pressure in the filter is even slightly elevated. Further, the waterfall will not flow with the proper amount of water under even ideal conditions unless the spa waterfall is slowed to a trickle. Basically, I have two waterfalls but can really only properly operate one at a time. Worst of all, running my present pump accounts for almost half of my monthly electric consumption.

I was told that a variable speed pump was the way to remedy these problems. I narrowed my search down to three Pentair pumps, but I am not really sure what the differences are between them; and, even if I did know the differences, I am not sure how to evaluate which to select. The Pentair pumps I am considering are as follows: (1) Intelliflo Variable Speed High Performance Pump (Item No. 011018); (2) Intelliflo 2 VST Variable Speed Pump (Item No. 013001); and, (3) Intelliflo 2 VST Variable Speed Pump (Item No. 011055). The Pentair website is of little, if any, help in trying to easily figure the various features. I contacted Pentair by phone and after being placed on hold for over one hour was told to contact a local, Pentair authorized pool company. Can anyone tell me the differences between these pumps and which one is recommended? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

The Intelliflo 011018 is the long time favorite performer of many folks here. I have it and it is a great pump. The 011055 is the replacement for it, they added a rotatable control panel. Either of these is what you want. The 013001 is the Sta-rite version of the 011055, Pentair bought them. They are basically all the exact same pump.