Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto pump shutoff

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto pump shutoff

In trying to open my pool, I run the pump 24x7. However, eventually the filter will clog and the pump is now working overtime trying to push water through the filter. Sometimes I come down and water is trickling into the pump it's lost so much suction. Are there any products that will sense when the pump has lost its prime and shut it off? How long can a pump run like that without burning out?
    16x32 in ground vinyl pool. 48 square foot DE filter (though using fiber clear, DE alternative). 3/4hp super pump. Chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto pump shutoff

Do you not have a Recirculate option?
    What you are doing is not good for the pump or the filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Do you not have a Recirculate option?
    What you are doing is not good for the pump or the filter.
    I do have a recirculate option. Ideally, I would run the filter until it increases 20%, then recirculate until I can backwash / clean filter. What do you propose?
    16x32 in ground vinyl pool. 48 square foot DE filter (though using fiber clear, DE alternative). 3/4hp super pump. Chlorine.

4. Back To Top    #4

When you are not around to monitor the pressure and properly backwash at 20-25% increase in pressure ... run in recirculate mode.

Are you SLAMing?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I am SLAMing. I'll take your advice. Still seems this would be a useful feature in a pump. Even if I'm around all day, checking the pressure every couple hours, there is going to be some point where it hits 20-25% pressure increase and I don't notice it for an hour or so. Then the pump is sucking air for that time.

6. Back To Top    #6

You may want to contact these guys and see if their product can be adapted to a swimming pool system. flowswitch
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by leafpool View Post
    Yes I am SLAMing. I'll take your advice. Still seems this would be a useful feature in a pump. Even if I'm around all day, checking the pressure every couple hours, there is going to be some point where it hits 20-25% pressure increase and I don't notice it for an hour or so. Then the pump is sucking air for that time.
    When the filter gets dirty, the flow rate will decrease but the pump should not "suck air". Is that what is happening?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess "sucking air" is bad terminology. I can see that the pump basket is not completely filled with water; after the filter gets clogged enough, the pump struggles to pull enough water through that it isn't able to even fill the entire pump basket with water. Technically, there isn't air in the pump basket at that time; it should be a vacuum. How badly is it hurting the pump to run like that for a few hours?

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, I am bit confused. You say that the pump basket is not filled with water but then you say there isn't air in the pump basket. It is either or.

If water is flowing through the pump, there is no issue. However, if the flow is completely blocked, then the pump can overheat. But it is normal for flow to reduce when the filter gets clogged. However, a filter cannot really get clogged so much it completely stops flow. There will always be albeit very tiny amount of flow.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater