Auto pump shutoff

Jun 27, 2016
PA
In trying to open my pool, I run the pump 24x7. However, eventually the filter will clog and the pump is now working overtime trying to push water through the filter. Sometimes I come down and water is trickling into the pump it's lost so much suction. Are there any products that will sense when the pump has lost its prime and shut it off? How long can a pump run like that without burning out?

Yes I am SLAMing. I'll take your advice. Still seems this would be a useful feature in a pump. Even if I'm around all day, checking the pressure every couple hours, there is going to be some point where it hits 20-25% pressure increase and I don't notice it for an hour or so. Then the pump is sucking air for that time.

Yes I am SLAMing. I'll take your advice. Still seems this would be a useful feature in a pump. Even if I'm around all day, checking the pressure every couple hours, there is going to be some point where it hits 20-25% pressure increase and I don't notice it for an hour or so. Then the pump is sucking air for that time.
When the filter gets dirty, the flow rate will decrease but the pump should not "suck air". Is that what is happening?

I guess "sucking air" is bad terminology. I can see that the pump basket is not completely filled with water; after the filter gets clogged enough, the pump struggles to pull enough water through that it isn't able to even fill the entire pump basket with water. Technically, there isn't air in the pump basket at that time; it should be a vacuum. How badly is it hurting the pump to run like that for a few hours?

Ok, I am bit confused. You say that the pump basket is not filled with water but then you say there isn't air in the pump basket. It is either or.

If water is flowing through the pump, there is no issue. However, if the flow is completely blocked, then the pump can overheat. But it is normal for flow to reduce when the filter gets clogged. However, a filter cannot really get clogged so much it completely stops flow. There will always be albeit very tiny amount of flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.