Hayward Chlorinator Setting

Oct 16, 2015
ELKHART, IN
I have a Hayward CL220 inline chlorinator and I'm wondering what setting others are using? The adjustment dial goes from 0 to 10.

My pool is 16'x32' approx. 22,000 gal. and I'm running my pump 4 hr. in the morning and 4 hr. in the evening on 1,800 RPM.

I keep the chlorinator filled to the top with pucks and have tried 3.0 for a few weeks, which seem to keep the free Cl about 2-4 ppm and then suddenly one day it dropped to 0 ppm and I didn't notice until an algae bloom had occurred. I've now got it on 4.0 setting and free Cl is up to 16 ppm, so I'm having a hard time finding a stable setting.

If anyone could share their setting, along with how many hours per day their pump is running and their pool volume, that would be helpful!

Thanks,
Dave

Oh and on a side note, after my algae bloom I shocked and killed all the algae quickly, but my sand filter was not doing a great job of pulling out all the dead algae. So I tried a product called Sparkle Up from BioGuard, it's a very fine powder that's added to the skimmer to improve the filtering efficiency of sand filters. I only had to use 4 small scoops and it worked extremely well and cleared my water up instantly. It made my water brilliantly glass clear. I would highly recommend this to anyone with a sand filter!

HI

I think you are going to find that most folks who follow the pool care methods reccomended on this site do not use an inline chlorinator long term. By doing so it is increasing the CYA constantly requiring even more chlorine to maintain...so over time, the CYA gets too high requiring a much higher amount of free chlorine to keep the water sanitized.

Have you by chance taken a look at pool school (linked at top of web page) and read up on the ABC's of pool water chemistry? There is also a link to the chlorine CYA chart to help you determine your FC requirements as a percentage of Your CYA.

HI

I think you are going to find that most folks who follow the pool care methods reccomended on this site do not use an inline chlorinator long term. By doing so it is increasing the CYA constantly requiring even more chlorine to maintain...so over time, the CYA gets too high requiring a much higher amount of free chlorine to keep the water sanitized.

Have you by chance taken a look at pool school (linked at top of web page) and read up on the ABC's of pool water chemistry? There is also a link to the chlorine CYA chart to help you determine your FC requirements as a percentage of Your CYA.

Ahh very good to know. We had a 20x40 vinyl pool at a previous house we lived in, and I would use the powdered trichlor shock every week, it contained CYA, and after a year, I couldn't understand why I couldn't kill algae blooms easily. After pulling my hair out for months, I finally came to the understanding that too much CYA is a very bad thing. I think my CYA reading had reached a couple hundred. So, I'm am cautious now about having too much CYA, but I never realized that using the pucks to maintain Free Cl would add this much additional CYA. My CYA was sitting at 60 a couple weeks ago, but now is up to 80, so I'm heading on a bad path. I think I'm going to investigate the Liquidator or other liquid injection method, as this seems to be the cleanest, purest way to add ongoing/maintenance chlorine.
Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.