Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Chlorinator Setting

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightbulb Hayward Chlorinator Setting

I have a Hayward CL220 inline chlorinator and I'm wondering what setting others are using? The adjustment dial goes from 0 to 10.

My pool is 16'x32' approx. 22,000 gal. and I'm running my pump 4 hr. in the morning and 4 hr. in the evening on 1,800 RPM.

I keep the chlorinator filled to the top with pucks and have tried 3.0 for a few weeks, which seem to keep the free Cl about 2-4 ppm and then suddenly one day it dropped to 0 ppm and I didn't notice until an algae bloom had occurred. I've now got it on 4.0 setting and free Cl is up to 16 ppm, so I'm having a hard time finding a stable setting.

If anyone could share their setting, along with how many hours per day their pump is running and their pool volume, that would be helpful!

Thanks,
    Dave

Oh and on a side note, after my algae bloom I shocked and killed all the algae quickly, but my sand filter was not doing a great job of pulling out all the dead algae. So I tried a product called Sparkle Up from BioGuard, it's a very fine powder that's added to the skimmer to improve the filtering efficiency of sand filters. I only had to use 4 small scoops and it worked extremely well and cleared my water up instantly. It made my water brilliantly glass clear. I would highly recommend this to anyone with a sand filter!
    16x32x8 Vinyl ~22,000 gallons
    + Pentair Intellitouch + Intelliflo VS + Tagelus Sand Filter
    + Hayward CL220 Chlorinator + Pentair MasterTemp 200 NG Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hayward Chlorinator Setting

HI

I think you are going to find that most folks who follow the pool care methods reccomended on this site do not use an inline chlorinator long term. By doing so it is increasing the CYA constantly requiring even more chlorine to maintain...so over time, the CYA gets too high requiring a much higher amount of free chlorine to keep the water sanitized.

Have you by chance taken a look at pool school (linked at top of web page) and read up on the ABC's of pool water chemistry? There is also a link to the chlorine CYA chart to help you determine your FC requirements as a percentage of Your CYA.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice work clearing up your pool! I'm not sure what the ingredients are in that filter additive. We recommend adding DE to your filter to accomplish the same thing, Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Nice work clearing up your pool! I'm not sure what the ingredients are in that filter additive. We recommend adding DE to your filter to accomplish the same thing, Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    Yep I tried DE first, did nothing but make things worse, at least for me the DE found its way into the water and clouded it worse

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    HI

I think you are going to find that most folks who follow the pool care methods reccomended on this site do not use an inline chlorinator long term. By doing so it is increasing the CYA constantly requiring even more chlorine to maintain...so over time, the CYA gets too high requiring a much higher amount of free chlorine to keep the water sanitized.

Have you by chance taken a look at pool school (linked at top of web page) and read up on the ABC's of pool water chemistry? There is also a link to the chlorine CYA chart to help you determine your FC requirements as a percentage of Your CYA.
    Ahh very good to know. We had a 20x40 vinyl pool at a previous house we lived in, and I would use the powdered trichlor shock every week, it contained CYA, and after a year, I couldn't understand why I couldn't kill algae blooms easily. After pulling my hair out for months, I finally came to the understanding that too much CYA is a very bad thing. I think my CYA reading had reached a couple hundred. So, I'm am cautious now about having too much CYA, but I never realized that using the pucks to maintain Free Cl would add this much additional CYA. My CYA was sitting at 60 a couple weeks ago, but now is up to 80, so I'm heading on a bad path. I think I'm going to investigate the Liquidator or other liquid injection method, as this seems to be the cleanest, purest way to add ongoing/maintenance chlorine.
    Thanks for the advice!