How to proceed? Newbie here :)

Test results:

FC: none detected
    TC: 0-0.5
    PH: less than 6.8 (very yellow)
    TA: 100
    Calcium: didn't test
    CYA: none detected

Water filled today from well. Kids played in short while. By 5:00pm, green bloom started. I've added 40oz of 8.25% bleach and running filter. Water immediately turned a rusty green color as soon as bleach added.

What should be our next steps? And when - tonight or morning?

Thanks so much. This is a great forum.
    Christine

2654 Gallon Intex 15ft round Easy Set pool (AG)
    Sand filter: Intex model SF15110
    Pool filled from well water (after water softener treatment)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to proceed? Newbie here :)

6/27/16 8:45pm

Update: I reread the pool math article and another article that said to get the PH correct before SLAMING. So.... using pool math I added 31 oz by wgt of borax. Hope I didn't screw anything up. Filter still running.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

With a small pool you can follow this process
    Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Update #2
    Thanks. I've added the stabilizer and vacuumed the pool. It definitely looks less green this morning. Should we test CYA again this evening or wait a while?

FC 5 maybe higher
    PH 8; Acid demand test was only 1 drop

I also added 2oz algeacide. Filter still running. Was planning on letting filter run all day and retest this evening. I expect to add more bleach then for overnight cleaning. I will use Pool Math again.

Thanks again.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cteffenhart
    Water filled today from well. Kids played in short while. By 5:00pm, green bloom started. I've added 40oz of 8.25% bleach and running filter. Water immediately turned a rusty green color as soon as bleach added.
    Since it appears that your pool turned green after adding bleach and, given that your fill water came from a well, you probably have metals in the water. Is the water clear, despite the green color, or is it cloudy?

I've added the stabilizer and vacuumed the pool. It definitely looks less green this morning. Should we test CYA again this evening or wait a while?
    It generally takes about 5-7 days for newly-added stabilizer to register on a test.

I also added 2oz algeacide.
    I would not add any more - even if it turn out that you have algae. Algaecides are useless on an existing algae bloom. Plus, many algaecides have metals in them, such as copper, which will only add to the metals you may already have in the water.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

We had the green before the bleach was added.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    Since it appears that your pool turned green after adding bleach and, given that your fill water came from a well, you probably have metals in the water. Is the water clear, despite the green color, or is it cloudy?

It generally takes about 5-7 days for newly-added stabilizer to register on a test.

I would not add any more - even if it turn out that you have algae. Algaecides are useless on an existing algae bloom. Plus, many algaecides have metals in them, such as copper, which will only add to the metals you may already have in the water.
    Noted. Thx

8. Back To Top    #8

Tested this evening:

FC 5
    PH 7.8

Vacuumed a bunch of dead algae. Water looks clear but I wouldn't say sparkling. Should I add bleach tonight to get FC up tp 10 or 12? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

9. Back To Top    #9

I actually decided to add some bleach to get up to shock levels. Running filter overnight. Hopefully tomorrow water will be sparkling. BTW, I didn't see an more rust colored anything when the bleach was added.

TT

10. Back To Top    #10

I would follow the SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain process until all 3 of the criteria of done that are outlined in the article are met. The SLAM process is not a once-a-day addition of chlorine to shock level, but rather a process that focuses on maintaining the shock/SLAM level until the criteria of done are met.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.