teal color pool

Jun 26, 2016
Hattiesburg MS
i have been treating algae in my pool, and it has cleared up a good bit. i can now see my drain however it still has a teal color to it, and my kids have complained of it burning their eyes. i am new to this forum and i haven't gotten my own test system yet, but i did get 2 different reads below are my results. any help is greatly appreciated.
CYA one says 30 other said 60
chlorine 1.31
hardness 130
cya 30
salt 2500
TA one said 75 other said 110
ph level 8.4

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Until you decide to take charge of your pool and get your own good test kit, there is little ACCURATE advice we can give you. Pool store testing has proven to be bogus in so many cases.....we just don't trust it. Test strips and cheap kits don't work either.

Take the plunge. Decide that you will manage your own pool with your own precision kit and you'll be off and rolling. Hundreds of people here will help you get the pool absolutely pristine.

Read the hundreds of results from pool owners here. The TFP method requires you to learn a little and have the interest in managing your own pool but the reward is stunning. you'll never look back.

Others will be along very quickly to offer more advanced advice. With your situation, the first thing to do is try to verify for yourself that PH level. You can take my advice or not, but I'd go right now and order your TF-100 test kit with the XL option, pick up a speed-stir if you have the extra $$. Once you are waiting for that to arrive, consider going to Walmart and getting the cheap OTO chlorine/ PH test with the little color block. (Should be under $10) you should only worry about the PH side of the test, the CL Side won't help you any, and when your TF-100 arrives the Walmart test should be discarded. Also consider stopping at one of the big box home improvement stores and get a gallon of Muriatic Acid. if that PH is close to accurate you'll need a good bit of the MA to lower it. Play around with the pool math at the top of the forum to get an idea how much MA you'll need to add.

Your PH reading (one of the things the pool store usually gets right) is high. That is probably the reason for burning eyes. The problem is that your PH could be 8.4 or it could even be higher. You would need to use poolmath and figure out how much Muriatic Acid to lower it, and then retest 30 minutes later with the pump running.

Yikes..my eyes would burn too if my pH was that high (if that is accurate)......listen to all the good advice, don't trust the pool store testing..get your own test kit and do the tests yourself. Only way you'll know for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.