pH issue

wah

Jun 27, 2016
Plymouth, CA
Greetings,

On 6/23/16 using standard pool store test kit gave: Chlorine 0.9, pH <6.8, Alkalinity 120, pool water was clear, there was algae (green/black?) where the plaster is pitted that was not coming off with a stainless brush.

Pool store analysis gave: Sat. Ind -1.2, TDS 2000, CYA 75, Tot. Chlorine 0.8, Free Chlorine 0.6, pH <6.6, Tot. Alk. 119, Adj. Alk 96, Tot. Hard. 117

Pool store suggested: 8.5# Biogard Balance Pac 100 (bi-carb), 2.75# Biogard Balance Pac 200 (soda ash), and 2# Biogard Balance Pac 300 (calcium Chloride), and 1# of Shock.

Had enough bi-carb and calcium chloride on hand but I only had 1# of soda ash so went to the grocery and added 4# of 20 Mule Team Borax. Topped up the tri-chlor tabs in two floaters and added about 3 quarts 12% pool chlorine. All this over a 36 hour period.

After everything was settled down my test kit gave: Chlorine 1.5, pH <6.8, Alk. 210. Oops, did I misread the TFP info that borax is to raise pH?

So yesterday I trekked to the nearest big-box and picked up regular pH increaser (soda ash) and have added 5# over the last 24 hours to no noticeable effect; pH still reads < 6.8 and the pool water is less clear. There is less algae however so something is going right.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Any idea what test kit it is? Does it have a part number or can you post a picture?

Your pH is still quite low. Need to keep using Borax to bring it up. Borax will increase pH without increasing TA very much, which is what you want since your TA is already high, perhaps.

Depending on the kit, you likely need to order a FAS-DPD chlorine test so that you can properly measure chlorine, accurately.

Test kit is Guardex 4-in-One with reasonably fresh reagents. I will definitely be getting the FAS-DPD kit as the pool store has new (clueless) owners and the only pool service outfit is overbooked and can't take on my pool so I need to dig in and do it right myself. Will do one more test with the pool store when they open tomorrow and if the TA is really over 200 will consider muratic acid and then a whole lot of borax.

BTW the pool water clarity is starting to improve. A few ounces of diotomaceous earth in the sand filter may have helped.

Glad I have found TFP; very helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.