New AG Pool and it's sparkling green! Help!

Jihan

Jun 27, 2016
Cumberland, RI
Hello!

I recently set up a 14'x42" Intex AG ultra frame pool, running a 3000gph filter, 3300g capacity, with a newly added Hayward Skimmer. Water filled it Saturday & Sunday last week - we really didn't add anything to it until it began to get cloudy the next Friday. This weekend I took my water to get tested at a Specialty Store and they gave me granular shock, some calcium, and algaecide. We started with the shock - and boom, the cloudiness cleared and the pool went green!

I've been reading Pool School and making adjustments (my pH was low at 6.4 - lowest my test strips could register), zero alkalinity, and low chlorine... I've added baking soda and borax and bleach - I'm now running at >10 FC, 7.6 pH, and 80ppm TA. The shop registered my CYA at 30ppm (I tossed what I had left over from the previous season in to get the pool started).

Water is coming from a filtered municipal source. Copper is very unlikely the problem (I might have some copper ion test strips to make sure - I'll dig around). I've researched and researched and everything I seem to be doing doesn't seem to be making a difference. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

IMG_0856.jpg

The quick and dirty

Stay out of the Pool Store
Get a Recommended Test Kit
Read Pool School
Follow the method here
Your water will clear

You filled the pool last Saturday/Sunday, really didn't put anything into it & ran the filter.
(I would question that deeper asking did you or did you not put anything in, but the test kit will confirm where you are sitting and what you need to do to clear it.)
From fill time until now without anything in that pooled water, algae took hold and are starting to thrive.
This method, when followed properly keeps the algae from being able to get a foothold.

Pool water has to be filtered and sanitized for it to be healthy to swim in.
You have to keep an eye on the water by testing.
(Poor Store numbers are not accurate)
Shouldn't take much to get it back in line.

Good Luck.

I think you need to know your numbers with certainty and dose/ adjust accordingly per instructions here, if you have decided to follow this method.

If your CYA is 30 and you are in SLAM you should Maintain (that's what the M stands for in SLAM) a minimum of 12 free chlorine throughout your SLAM.

If you are using test strips or pool stores, even "Specialty" pool stores to obtain your numbers, your numbers most likely don't have the accuracy required for this method. I use the TF-100, so I am a fan of that one. It allows me to keep my water absolutely pristine with zero guesswork. Once you take the guesswork out of the equation your water will clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.