Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Size

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Size

I bought my house last year and they left some information on the pool but nothing about how big it is, mostly just information on the pump and filter. It is an above ground pool and I counted the pillars around the outside and estimated it to be 24ft but paced off the pool while in it last week to be roughly 27ft or so since I wear a size 12 shoe. I ask this because the print out from when my pool store would test in the past said the pool holds 15,300 which I think they got that from the previous owner of my house/pool. I think it is anywhere from 48 to 50 inches tall or to where the water level is. To the very top could be more, 52 to 54?

How should I go about measuring the size of it? Good old fashion tape measure?
    Above ground 24 ft diameter
    Sand Filter
    TF 100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Size

Yup, measure the diameter and measure the water depth. Then put those numbers in PoolMath to calculate a volume.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

How should I go about measuring the size of it? Good old fashion tape measure?
    Yes, pool math and a good measuring tape. You can try both methods. Hopefully, you have one of the recommended test kits.

If so, you could test the water right as the sun goes down. Then add a gallon of bleach. Then test again at the 1 hour mark, 2 hour mark and 3 hour mark. This will ensure that the bleach is mixed thoroughly. Go to pool match and keep plugging in the numbers to figure out what size your pool is. Put in the before and after figures and what you think your pool is. The amount of bleach should match (within a few ounces).

Most people that I have helped believed their pool is actually larger than it really is. A few of my friends, who now own a TF-100 test kit were putting chemicals in their pool based on a larger volume, which eventually messed things up. No more pool stores for them.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't like trying to use bleach to estimate volume ... the strength of the bleach could easily vary 10+%
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I am just gonna tape measure it this evening when I get home and punch in the numbers on pool math.
    Above ground 24 ft diameter
    Sand Filter
    TF 100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I agree with Jblizzle, although my free form pool was tricky and had no other choice. Used very fresh bleach that was delivered and stamped within days of testing. The pool company gave me 3 different pool measurements that ranged from 17K-19K in gallons. I should have called the water company to get meter readings, probably would have been easier as the pool was being filled up (too late now). Keep us posted!

7. Back To Top    #7

If the bleach was that fresh, it was most certainly stronger than the label indicated.

The volume really does not matter too much. Make a rough guess and if you are consistently missing your targets for all chemicals, then adjust your volume.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

That is what I did, best guess. My average daily loss during hot weather last year, was about 1.50 ppm. So far so good. Thanks jblizzle!