Green pool

DRiggi

Jun 26, 2016
schenectady ny
Hello All: I have an in ground pool that hasn't been open in about seven years. We have been cleaning leaves and dirt out of it for about 2 weeks. I think we got most of the stuff out. The pool is still a green color and I'm back washing a lot. I had a water sample done today again some numbers came up and some went down. So my numbers are CYA 30PPM, Free Chlorine 0.12PPM, Total Chlorine 0.58, Combined Chlorine 0.46, PH 7.2, Hardness 61 ppm, Alkalinity 116PPM. I think by reading some of the post that I need to shock it. Any suggestions on how much shock/ chlorine I need and how often I should do it. Also do I need algaecide to kill the algae? Any help would be great I have already spent a boat load of money in the last two weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help
Dave Riggi

Dave:

A couple of suggestions at this point. Based on what you have written, the pool store has done your testing. Here at TFP, we rely on our own testing. Please go out and purchase a recommended test kit. In my opinion, going back to the pool store will have you walking out with chemicals you do not need and that will cost you a lot of money (It appears you already have). The first step is to post up a full set of test results. From this point, everyone is here to help you so you will have crystal clear water within a few weeks. All you need is straight bleach. Wal-Mart or Target is your best option.

If your pool is green and has not been opened in 7 years, you will require a lot of liquid bleach. It is hard to say how much and how long. There are many variables. Once your PH is lowered to 7.2, based on your CYA, you can bring up the pool to shock level. You must maintain the shock level at all times and keep the filter running 24 hours a day until all 3 tests are passed. Daily pictures would be great. You can easily watch your progress.

Please add your signature and spend a few minutes reading through "Pool School".

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

First, start by reviewing the methods we teach here at TFP. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry is the best place to start.

To get advice, you'll need to be using a recommended test kit at home. Pool store testing is terrible in general, comes with an usually misinformed sales pitch and isn't very convenient. A proper home test kit solves that problem. The TF-100 from tftestkits.net is the best value around and has all the tests you need to properly care for your pool. The Taylor K-2006 is in second place, has all the tests but not as much reagents.

Add the details about your pool to your forum signature so you can get more specific advise and it's easy to see in each post you make. Edit Signature

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.