Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Skimmer in An Above Ground Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Skimmer in An Above Ground Pool

I'm wondering if replacing a cracked and old skimmer fixture is a "do it yourself" project or something that is best left to the experts. This is an above ground pool. Can anyone offer any advise or tips?
    22K gallons, 1 HP pump, Hayward Sand filter and Polaris Robot Cleaning System. IG 16x36 with Vinyl

Hot Springs 5 Person Spa, 355 gallons using a Spa Frog for Chemical Distribution

2. Back To Top    #2

Jasper, TN

Re: Replacing Skimmer in An Above Ground Pool

I'm new around here too, but I would imagine the experts here will need more information.

A pic would be best to see exactly how the existing skimmer is installed.

I have an AGP and from what I can see it would not be difficult to replace.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Middle Tennessee

Re: Replacing Skimmer in An Above Ground Pool

It's not that difficult. Just a matter of taking the screws out from the trim plate inside the pool, taking the old skimmer off, replacing the gaskets, put the new skimmer in place, and screwing the trim plate back on. You might need an extra set of hands to hold the skimmer in place while you get a few screws started, and depending on how tall you are, you might need a stepladder to be able to reach over the top rail to get to the trimplate.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"