Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bouncing CYA levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Bouncing CYA levels

Did a search and found that CYA will not typically move except by dilution, or draining water.

I test weekly, and have been chasing Chlorine too, even with SWG, so starting SLAM. But I've used 7# of CYA in last 2 months. Its been a weekly add. We've had some rain, a couple heavy storms, but not to where we have had to drain pool. Rain gauge says less than half inch in the last 2 weeks.,

Our poolmath is set with goal of 70 CYA.

Weekly readings in June have been

6/4 40, added per PM
    6/12 30, added per PM
    6/18 30 added per PM

6/26 50 added per PM
    Full test from yesterday
    FC 2.5 (my testing tube is collecting black residue on the bottom?
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    Alk 90, added acid to 7 and will aerate to bring ph back up.
    CH 420
    salt 3400

I know CH is over my desired, holding off doing the drain until I kill off whatever is consuming FC

I'm using granular CYA, putting in sock in skimmer. That is empty in a day. Have not cleaned filter weekly, as the pressure gauge didn't require it, but cleaning monthly. Been adding supplemental 10% chlorine as well, for what Pool math recommends for our desired 70 ppm CYA.
    SWG isn't keeping up, been hot and sunny, but running 8 hours at 100% daily isn't keeping FC where I want it.

Your thoughts on the CYA usage?

TIA
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bouncing CYA levels

The most likely cause of that would be a leak. Do you have an autofill?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    The most likely cause of that would be a leak. Do you have an autofill?
    No sir, just rain and a hose. Have not had to add water for a few weeks.
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

4. Back To Top    #4

I too was suspecting a leak ...

Are you always using the same brand of CYA? Maybe you got a bad batch that is not actually raising the CYA as it should?

Volume set correctly in PoolMath?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks JB, no way of knowing if CYA was a bad batch, bought from Amazon, Pool Mate brand. Local pool store had a sale running this past weekend, so I bought some of theirs for same price this time. Will see with next go-round. Suncoast I think it was? Thanks for the info, will keep taking readings.
    Phil