Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Odd question - To Cut or not Cut the "lip" around the filter gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

Odd question - To Cut or not Cut the "lip" around the filter gauge

The filter system I have looks like it has a bad gauge. No prob, I went ahead and ordered a new glycerin filled gauge however, its a bit wider in diameter than the stock gauge its replacing and hence does not fit the filter housing as far as this "lip" around the gauge goes.

I wanted to know if it was okay to just dremel off the excess and go. I dont' see any reason why not, its not something that appears to be anything other than cosmetic, but being new to all this I am just curious.

As a side note, I woudl prefer to keep the gauge hence the dremel question as it was only $7 new.
    - Splash Omega 20 Above Ground 20 ft round 4ft deep 9000 gallon pool
    - Splashpak Cartridge Filter, EF75 1HP 75 GPM pump
    - TFT-100 XL Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Odd question - To Cut or not Cut the "lip" around the filter gauge

This seemed like a bad idea, but apparently people have done it successfully: Thread repair in plastic night be the right move.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

sorry what I meant was to dremel off the "umbrella" part of the filer cover. so that part that is kind of like a lip that is plastic its high enough that the new gauge with its wider body won't sit down.

So in this picture:

that black "lip" that is around the gauge that is part of the filter cover. that is what I am wondering if that can be dremeled down some. New gauge has same threads, etc.
    - Splash Omega 20 Above Ground 20 ft round 4ft deep 9000 gallon pool
    - Splashpak Cartridge Filter, EF75 1HP 75 GPM pump
    - TFT-100 XL Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Go to the hardware store and buy a pipe coupling and a short nipple to raise the gauge. That way you don't risk ruining the gauge. Teflon tape to seal the threads too.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.