Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member-- taking my pool camping?

1. Back To Top    #1

New member-- taking my pool camping?

I have what perhaps is maybe a bit of an ambitious idea--I want to take an above-ground pool with us on our next camping trip. Water and electricity aren't an issue. I'm looking at the intex metal frame pools. The only thing I am worried about is getting the pool level enough to not ruin the frame over a weekend. There's no guarantee that I will be able to find a flat enough piece of land. The best remedy I've come up with is to just bring a bunch of 2x4 blocks (or maybe 1x4?) to put under each of the legs in uneven spots, but will this be sturdy enough to avoid the legs slipping out and support the entire weight, etc?

Thanks in advance...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New member-- taking my pool camping?

Just checked your info to make sure you weren't posting from Colorado.... How about finding a campsite near a body of water???? I went camping with my kids many times during their childhood. If swimming was in the picture we planned the location accordingly.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, welcome to TFP! That is an interesting question. Are you camping on private property or in a campground?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Hi, welcome to TFP! That is an interesting question. Are you camping on private property or in a campground?
    It's private property.

How about finding a campsite near a body of water????
    Location is predetermined and non negotiable. Long story

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a lot of work. May be better off with the big blue blob pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    That's a lot of work. May be better off with the big blue blob pool.
    Of course it's a lot of work. I did say i was being ambitious!!! i do have plenty of helping hands though.

I read a review on amazon that said the big blue blob pool was even more sensitive to uneven ground and it seems like it'd be much more difficult to remedy as well.

7. Back To Top    #7

I gather there are no paved areas where you will be? If you bring enough shovels you can level out an area for the pool. Depending on how rambunctious the campers are, you will want the pool to be as stable as possible. I don't think just stacking the pavers up will do it.
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

That is going to be the coolest campsite ever.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

I gather there are no paved areas where you will be? If you bring enough shovels you can level out an area for the pool. Depending on how rambunctious the campers are, you will want the pool to be as stable as possible. I don't think just stacking the pavers up will do it.
    No paved areas, and tearing up the land isn't an option. Campers shouldn't be too rambunctious, it's gonna basically just be a "cool tub". Surely the weight of the water will keep the legs pretty stable? Also, is there anything I should be worried about regarding the actual bottom of the pool not being on flat ground and not just the legs? Provided there is enough padding and tarpage to prevent stuff poking through...

That is going to be the coolest campsite ever.
    heck yeah

10. Back To Top    #10

Can you make a reconnaissance trip to the campsite?
    14,000 gallon above ground 24ftx56in round vinyl overlap liner steel wall sand filter 1/2 hp pump heavy lime in city water morning shade

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kk_isme View Post
    Can you make a reconnaissance trip to the campsite?
    I've been there before. It's got a lot of grassy clearings. I think the chances of finding a completely level spot for it are slim to none though. Any advice on how to choose a spot?

12. Back To Top    #12

Is the ground just un-even or does it have a lot of slope?
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Is it practical to bring in a load of sand?
    14,000 gallon above ground 24ftx56in round vinyl overlap liner steel wall sand filter 1/2 hp pump heavy lime in city water morning shade

14. Back To Top    #14

Where is the water coming from?
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

15. Back To Top    #15

Is the ground just un-even or does it have a lot of slope?
    I would lean towards "just uneven" i'm attaching a picture to give you a bit of an idea

Is it practical to bring in a load of sand?

Yes, as long as I can pack it all up when I'm done with it.

Where is the water coming from?

local fire department

10923539_322241721308666_6809857468411941967_n.jpg

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

You will never get the sand back out of the grass... As long as you can stay under about 6 inches from high to low stack pavers to get them level then fill in under the bottom of the pool with ridged foam board. That way you have a level base under the water. Just don't knock any of the support legs off of the pavers. That should work I think its just an idea.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

17. Back To Top    #17

What do I need under my Intex Pool?

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    You will never get the sand back out of the grass... As long as you can stay under about 6 inches from high to low stack pavers to get them level then fill in under the bottom of the pool with ridged foam board. That way you have a level base under the water. Just don't knock any of the support legs off of the pavers. That should work I think its just an idea.
    I'm new to this whole pool thing so forgive me on my ignorance on terminology but just to be sure-- do 2x4 blocks of wood count as "pavers?" Or am I going to need something more... idk sturdy than that? Also to clarify, do you mean just putting in the ridged foam board wherever there is a gap under the bottom? or underneath the whole thing? I was already planning on getting the intex ground cloth, but i'm assuming that won't be enough?

- - - Updated - - -

also a dumb question, what's the easiest way to check the slope?

18. Back To Top    #18

Pavers are stones and go for a few bucks each at the box store. I wouldn't use 2x4s as a replacement, but a 2x4 is a great thing to tape a level to. Long levels give you a better picture of how level the land is.

My favorite level in on my phone

"...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

19. Back To Top    #19

Maybe if you dumped the sand on a giant tarp.

You might check out redneck pools on the internet. You can build a frame with hay bales, line it with a tarp and fill it with water. That might be easier and more practical for your needs.

20. Back To Top    #20

For this temporary setup, I think using 2x6 or 2x8 pieces would be better than concrete pavers. The pavers can break due to uneven pressure and even a little rock under a paver could make it break. The wood would be more forgiving.

I am not sure the foam board would be worth the effort either. You want to make sure there is nothing that could poke a hole in the pool (rocks, sticks, etc) and then use the tarp.

I think I would want to get the legs pretty level with each other. What I am not sure about is how well the liner will handle the variation in depth (like if some legs are on a 2 or 3 blocks of wood). So the bottom of the liner could be a few inches above the ground. There is certainly some stretch, but how much?

DISCLAIMER (Not the views of TFP as a whole): I have no experience with these pools. But given the price point and the fact that I imagine that VERY few of the 1000s of these setup each year are done so within the strict max 1" variation TFP (and the manufacturer) recommends and the fact that I have not seen 100s of reports of these things failing ... I have a feeling that if you get it close, it will likely be fine for the few days you will be using it ... but the liability falls on you, and not some random internet person offering free opinions
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast