Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing to remove a pool - in ground vinyl

1. Back To Top    #1

Preparing to remove a pool - in ground vinyl

Hi all. Well, we've decided that it's time to remove the pool. It's just not cost effective to keep it and after much deliberation, we landed here. While we plan out the best way to remove it and coordinate with the excavators, what should I do with the pool? The pump is dead, so it's just going to collect bugs, frogs, algae, etc, and it will be several weeks before any movement is made on removal. And I have two small kids so I also need to keep in mind safety.

Here are the options that I see:
    1) Leave water level as-is, replace the winter cover
    2) Drain water level, replace winter cover
    3) Drain water level, no cover
    16x36 IG 22K Vinyl | Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Sq Ft | 1.5 hp Hayward Superpump | Aqua Collection Turbo Cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preparing to remove a pool - in ground vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by gilbertpsk View Post
    It's just not cost effective to keep it
    There are pools that are cost effective???
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't think your kids would enjoy a pool? How expensive was it for you? My pool probably costs less than $100 per year to maintain.

It makes me sad to think of removing a pool...we enjoy ours so, and with my new bionic knees it helps me with my rehab. More reasons to keep the pool than not.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd get some bids on removing it before you pull the trigger... that may surprise you.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    There are pools that are cost effective???
    Sure. TFPC is cheaper than the YMCA. At least in the town where I lived.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the concerns, all. I have gotten about 8 bids for pool removal and spent most of last year researching options and planning it out. The long and short of it is the previous owners who put in the pool made several mistakes and the pool contractor didn't build it properly, so to keep the pool will just be way out of our budget. This year, we need a new pump to even get the pool started so we made the tough choice. We've tried to make it work for 5 years, and based on what I've learned on this site, was able to run the pool efficiently. But to fix the drainage issues, failing pool components, and our lack of time to actually use the pool, it's actually cheaper to remove it than to fix everything.

So, any ideas on what I should do between now and the time I have it removed? Is putting the winter cover back on just going to lead to more problems?
    16x36 IG 22K Vinyl | Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Sq Ft | 1.5 hp Hayward Superpump | Aqua Collection Turbo Cell

7. Back To Top    #7

If you know for sure you're taking it out, I would drain the pool entirely using a submersible pump with the winter cover over the top for safety. The reasons to keep the pool full are to support the wall structure and prevent the pool from "popping" out of the ground or walls collapsing. You're trying to do that anyway so no reason not to drain it. Less of a mosquito breeding ground then as well. You MUST keep it covered for safety.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the advice. Unless someone out there thinks that I shouldn't drain it, I'll start draining soon. 22,000 gallons down the drain.