Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing tiles on built in Spa connected to Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing tiles on built in Spa connected to Pool

We have an in ground spa connected to our in ground pool. The corner edge tiles on the outside of the arc that meets the pool keep popping off. see pic below. We were told about this by the people that we bought the house from years ago and they just used underwater epoxy to re affix the tiles. They indicated it was just a by product of the design, that the spa would heat up and cause enough flex in the wall between the pool and spa to pop the tiles. As a result the separating walls between the spa and pool are made much thicker.... or so they said.

So on to my question. Is there a better adhesive for repairing this? We have tried two different types of epoxy and they stayed for a few years. And obviously the original installation didn't work so just retiling won't work.

I look forward to your-alls input

Mark

Spa Edge Tile.jpg

BTW I see my son didn't clean the leaves out of the pool.. I have proof, and he took the picture!
    20K IG gunite with attached spa, dark plaster and lava rock waterfall, very 90's. Pool equip refit in 2005 with all Sta-Rite cartridge filter, pump, and heater; Polaris sweep; Goldline Controller(Hayward) with T-Cell-15 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing tiles on built in Spa connected to Pool

Any suggestions? Thx
    20K IG gunite with attached spa, dark plaster and lava rock waterfall, very 90's. Pool equip refit in 2005 with all Sta-Rite cartridge filter, pump, and heater; Polaris sweep; Goldline Controller(Hayward) with T-Cell-15 SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mguzzy View Post
    We have an in ground spa connected to our in ground pool. The corner edge tiles on the outside of the arc that meets the pool keep popping off. see pic below. We were told about this by the people that we bought the house from years ago and they just used underwater epoxy to re affix the tiles. They indicated it was just a by product of the design, that the spa would heat up and cause enough flex in the wall between the pool and spa to pop the tiles.
    Just a comment to bump your thread. I don't really buy the "by product of the design" reason. But I'm not engineer for sure. Design-wise, looks just like hundreds I've seen built here on TFP.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know either.. I was just reporting what the original owners told me. Either way the issue has been around since the pool was first constructed. So I'm trying to figure out a better way to attached those tiles. I figure someone here would have a better idea.

5. Back To Top    #5

Bumpity Bump. I was hoping someone would have some input on this. In the past we used this product, Mr Sticky:

http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb4/page...FRSUfgod-IoNzQ

I got from our local pool store. But from the description it looks like its more for cluing PVC and plastics, not ceramics and to plaster. If the tiles are coming off due to expansion of the wall when the spa is heated up I'm figuring I need an adhesive that is a bit flexible. I think I'm going to give the JBWeld epoxies a go this time around.

http://www.jbweld.com/products/waterweld-epoxy-putty

This one is a Marine epoxy also from JBWeld. I was thinking this might be better in a Salt Pool.

http://www.jbweld.com/collections/ep...weld-twin-tube
    besides it says it dries to a dark grey color and that might match the dark grout we have better.

Anybody got any input?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

I personally have had good success with a product called Aquabond

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks kadavis! That looks perfect.

I talked to a tile guy the other day and he recommended this:
    Custom Building Products 1.5 lb. White Tile Repair Mortar-TRMW1 - The Home Depot

At first he thought we were repairing tiles underwater as this will work for that.. but he said it should work for this as well. I think the stuff you recommended is probably better.
    Mark