Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Target Higher in SWG Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Target Higher in SWG Pool

The ABC's of pool chemistry section on CYA states:

"CYA - Cyanuric Acid

CYA level so you can figure out what FC level to aim for. If you don't have a SWG, CYA is typically kept between 30 and 50. If you have a SWG, CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80."

My pool surface is Pebble Sheen and gets fully sunlight all day. I am currently in the process of getting my CYA up from 10 (used the sock method which seems easier).

My pool builder previously said a CYA range for my pool was 30 to 50 ppm. I'd say what the "pool store" previously said but I'm ignoring advice from pool stores from now on.

TFP states pools with SWG are "typically" between 70 and 80. Since that number is quite a bit higher than my pool builder previously stated I was hoping someone could explain why it is higher for SWG pools.

Does the pool surface being Pebble Sheen change the 70 to 80 TFP recommendation?
    Gallons 13,860 / IG Pebble / Hayward OmniLogic / Hayward Swim Clear Filter / Hayward EcoStar / Hayward TriStar VS (for water features) / Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump / Date of build 3/11/16 / Other features: Spa / Hayward Colorlogic LED lights (2 in pool / 1 in spa) / Pentair LED Bubblers (2 one on each sun shelf) / Pentair Color Cascade Laminars (4 around pool) / Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Target Higher in SWG Pool

BTW - I read the Water Balance for SWG information as well. One thing I keep noticing is recommendations usually talk about (1) Plaster, (2) Vinyl or (3) Fiberglass. Where does Pebble Tec fall? Is it just considered plaster?

Gallons 13,860 / IG Pebble / Hayward OmniLogic / Hayward Swim Clear Filter / Hayward EcoStar / Hayward TriStar VS (for water features) / Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump / Date of build 3/11/16 / Other features: Spa / Hayward Colorlogic LED lights (2 in pool / 1 in spa) / Pentair LED Bubblers (2 one on each sun shelf) / Pentair Color Cascade Laminars (4 around pool) / Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

This is an old thread, but it does explain the reasoning behind higher CYA in SWG pools. Why high CYA is a good thing with a SWG

PebbleTec is a type of plaster surface. What really matters is your overall CSI when talking about plaster pools, keeping the CSI for sure between -0.6 and 0.6 with being slightly negative (-0.3 to 0.0) preferred.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool surface is irrelevant when we talk about CYA and SWGs. You absolutely need higher CYA levels with SWGs as they produce lower levels of chlorine over longer periods of time than direct chlorination methods (liquid chlorine or stabilized solid chlorine). With higher CYA levels, your daily FC loss is lower which means your SWG had to run less each day to replace what is lost. This directly translates into longer SWG life.

If you want to experiment, simply try to run your SWG pool at 30-50ppm CYA. You will see that you will need to run your SWG and pumps for long periods of time and may not be able to achieve the FC you want. Then, increase your CYA to 80ppm and see what effects it has.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    This is an old thread, but it does explain the reasoning behind higher CYA in SWG pools. Why high CYA is a good thing with a SWG
    Thanks, great read although I will be reading it a few times in order to digest all that