Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing pump motor and seal. Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing pump motor and seal. Questions

My pump motor has been sounding pretty bad for a while, I got some advice and I have its replacement on hand as well as a new pump seal and I am bout to tackle the job (watched a few you tubes regarding replacing seal!)

Here is my questions(s) before I start:
    1) would a motor going out greatly reduce water output from jets?
    2) if output is reduced would that be the cause of a sudden algae (green) outbreak on my liner?

I've been running it 12+ hrs a day (usually overnight) for the last several days. Which is longer than I normally ran it last year, I did this because I knew I had the new motor on hand and wasn't afraid that I needed to "baby" it.

Thanjs for for your help !
    (16 X 32) 24,000 Gallon SWG, Rectangle, Vinyl lined, 1.65 HP VSP, Sta-Rite 3 part Cartridge filter, Hayward T-15 Chlorine Generator.
    Southern Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing pump motor and seal. Questions

1) No. They don't slow down without overheating and shutting off.

2) No but the algae could be what is causing the problem. If you have live algae growing in the pool, it will quickly clog your filter slowing down the flow rate.

Post your test results and you may want to do an OCLT (see pool school).
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I did find a piece of plastic in the diffuser I think. Tha plastic looked like it came from an old basket screen. It was small and could have limited some water but I don't think it would cause such a decrease in output that I have noticed increasing this year. It seems that the output decrease is the same as noise increase in motor???

Another thisnk i noticed was the was the power connectors on the back of motor just slipped out of the "Crimp-on" style connectors, could this cause a loss or power going to motor and thus a loss of pump output??? Just trying to figure out why output has been low- maybe grasping at straws

I've gotten all taken apart now (cooling off from this heat) and about to put it back together.
    (16 X 32) 24,000 Gallon SWG, Rectangle, Vinyl lined, 1.65 HP VSP, Sta-Rite 3 part Cartridge filter, Hayward T-15 Chlorine Generator.
    Southern Louisiana

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Even with reduced circulation it's the FC level that prevents algae from forming. The FC needed to drop to allow the algae to start and poor circulation doesn't help but isn't the cause.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

If there is something stuck in the impeller, that would reduce flow rate. Is the filter pressure higher or lower than normal?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    If there is something stuck in the impeller, that would reduce flow rate. Is the filter pressure higher or lower than normal?
    I don't have a gauge in the filter, I have it but haven't installed it- that's the next project- which leads me to a question I was going to ask when I did that but I'll ask it now instead.

On on top of the filter housing where the gauge should go there is some sort of plug- it does leak some water/air from that plug. How do I remove the plug ( is it threaded etc?) and does the pressure gauge screw into it or not?
    Southern Louisiana

7. Back To Top    #7

It should unscrew. Is the plug slotted?
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

The pump seal I purchased with the motor is def not the correct one, so I'm using the old ​ and praying it works.
    Southern Louisiana

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by KennyFlaming View Post
    Another thisnk i noticed was the was the power connectors on the back of motor just slipped out of the "Crimp-on" style connectors, could this cause a loss or power going to motor and thus a loss of pump output??? Just trying to figure out why output has been low- maybe grasping at straws
    Electrical connections need to be clean and tight, so the wires slipping out of crimped connectors could be an issue. Are they fork or ring terminals?Kgrppn-fo.jpgThat's a fork terminal, ring doesn't have the split in the end. If your wiring goes into those then get terminated under screws, you could have issues. You can recrimp them with inexpensive crimper tool, or in a pinch, a pair of pliers. Or you can just remove the fork/ring and the wire should be able to be terminated at the motor.
    TF-100 kit, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer. Still in early stages of pool planning

10. Back To Top    #10

They were spade type connectors, I got it all put together and the O-ring on the seal plate was bad and when I put it together it leaked like a sprinkler! I got one on order from Amazon will be here Wednesday.
    Southern Louisiana

11. Back To Top    #11

WHEW!

I got the new o-ring Wednesday put it together and I am now pumping water! I took teh time to clean my 3-stage media filter Which was pretty clogged with parts from these black bugs that have been a nuisance the last few weeks. They come in at night and lad in pool and die. No idea what they are but the have a hard outer shell that gets in the skinner basket as well as pump basket.

But now i am pumping good, and my algae is gone jus in time for Independence day.

I do have a slight leak, which i believe is due to having to use the old pump seals but I have new pump seals on hand and will change them out soon.
    Southern Louisiana