Fought mustard algae battle, now first time using TFT Test Kit (TF-100)

ellozz

Jun 12, 2016
Macon/Georgia
Our pool was a wreck, but after two weeks and lots of info from this forum, I now have clear sparkling water! I have to thank you for the Borax info, that is what finally turned the tide on the algae. I got my TF-100 today (yeah, had to fight without it!) but now here are today's results:

FC 18
CC 2
pH 7.4
TA 130
CYA 57
Borates 15

Can someone advise me at this point?

Thank you!!

Well, you are about halfway into SLAMming the pool so you should finish the job.

Read the SLAM article, follow it to a t, and when you think you are done, perform the
OCLT test. To be finished with the SLAM........

1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae (dead or alive)
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Our pool was a wreck, but after two weeks and lots of info from this forum, I now have clear sparkling water! I have to thank you for the Borax info, that is what finally turned the tide on the algae. I got my TF-100 today (yeah, had to fight without it!) but now here are today's results:

FC 18
CC 2
pH 7.4
TA 130
CYA 57
Borates 15

Can someone advise me at this point?

Thank you!!
Welcome!

Duraleigh's advise is spot on, finish the job. With a CC of 2ppm your FC is oxidizing something in there......

Also, how did you get a CYA of 57ppm?

Dom

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I agree with Dave. Your CC level is quite elevated which sends an alarm about algae or excessive organics still in the water. At this point, I would be inclined to increase your FC to "24" to be safe (SLAM level based on your CYA of 60). If your water is clear, do an overnight (OCLT) test this evening. Tomorrow see if you pass the 3 SLAM criteria Dave noted above. If the water is cloudy, you see any evidence of algae, CC remains elevated, or you fail the OCLT, then you know the SLAM must continue.

I would also suggest keeping an eye on your water. When you raise the FC, watch to ensure there is no reaction (brown water or staining) to potential metals in your water from the well. If so, let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.