Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fought mustard algae battle, now first time using TFT Test Kit (TF-100)

1. Back To Top    #1

Fought mustard algae battle, now first time using TFT Test Kit (TF-100)

Our pool was a wreck, but after two weeks and lots of info from this forum, I now have clear sparkling water! I have to thank you for the Borax info, that is what finally turned the tide on the algae. I got my TF-100 today (yeah, had to fight without it!) but now here are today's results:

FC 18
    CC 2
    pH 7.4
    TA 130
    CYA 57
    Borates 15

Can someone advise me at this point?

Thank you!!
    30 feet diameter AGP, Chorine, 1 yr
    Cartridge filter, PWWC200 Pleatco, to replace existing one (no brand), once pool is stable
    Waterway Milleneum Pump, 1.5 HP, Dual speed
    Well water

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Fought mustard algae battle, now first time using TFT Test Kit (TF-100)

Well, you are about halfway into SLAMming the pool so you should finish the job.

Read the SLAM article, follow it to a t, and when you think you are done, perform the
    OCLT test. To be finished with the SLAM........

1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae (dead or alive)
    2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
    3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ellozz View Post
    Our pool was a wreck, but after two weeks and lots of info from this forum, I now have clear sparkling water! I have to thank you for the Borax info, that is what finally turned the tide on the algae. I got my TF-100 today (yeah, had to fight without it!) but now here are today's results:

FC 18
    CC 2
    pH 7.4
    TA 130
    CYA 57
    Borates 15

Can someone advise me at this point?

Thank you!!
    Welcome!

Duraleigh's advise is spot on, finish the job. With a CC of 2ppm your FC is oxidizing something in there......

Also, how did you get a CYA of 57ppm?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello and welcome to TFP! I agree with Dave. Your CC level is quite elevated which sends an alarm about algae or excessive organics still in the water. At this point, I would be inclined to increase your FC to "24" to be safe (SLAM level based on your CYA of 60). If your water is clear, do an overnight (OCLT) test this evening. Tomorrow see if you pass the 3 SLAM criteria Dave noted above. If the water is cloudy, you see any evidence of algae, CC remains elevated, or you fail the OCLT, then you know the SLAM must continue.

I would also suggest keeping an eye on your water. When you raise the FC, watch to ensure there is no reaction (brown water or staining) to potential metals in your water from the well. If so, let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, thank you so much for the advice! I added 10% bleach according to amount on the pool calculator. I will test the chlorine in a bit to make sure it is up to 24. Hoping for CC less than .05 tomorrow morning.
    30 feet diameter AGP, Chorine, 1 yr
    Cartridge filter, PWWC200 Pleatco, to replace existing one (no brand), once pool is stable
    Waterway Milleneum Pump, 1.5 HP, Dual speed
    Well water