1st time pool owner & already freaking out. HELP!!!!!

Jun 27, 2016
Ringgold Ga
Hi Everybody,
I'm a 1st time pool owner, 1st time home owner, and a Grandma of 2 1/2. ? I'm having a problem with my skimmer filling, dumping quickly, and filling again. I've gone through the forum, read many helpful posts, but haven't been able to solve my problem. I made sure there wasn't a clog by pushing water back through the line, checked my filter and pump, but I'm still "swooshing". Any advice?
Thanks in advance and have a blessed day
Gamma Beka

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

That's a pretty inadequate description but, if I understand what you are saying, you might simply need to fill the pool higher. The water should be about halfway up the skimmer.

Congrats!! I just want to make sure I am fully understanding. You are talking about water "swooshing" in and out of the skimmer right? Is this swooshing affecting your pump, i.e. is your pump loosing prime and shooting air of the return(s)?

Is the weir in place? That is the little door on the front of the skimmer that the water has to go over to get into the skimmer. Is your water level at least one half to 2/3 up the skimmer?

The Importance of a Properly Functioning Pool Skimmer | Product Spotlight Tech Tips

Add you pool details to your signature so we can better assist and welcome!

Sorry about the inadequate post as I am just getting the information on the pool equipment etc today.
Pool Tool, thank you for your kind reply and yes, I'm talking about the skimmer but it doesn't have a weir. I'm using what came with the house until I get all of the information on everything I need to buy. It is affecting the pump, loosing pressure, and shooting air out of the return. It was doing fine yesterday, I ran my Hayward bottom cleaner, and started having this problem this morning. I'm adding water now, the level was lowered while we were flushing the pipes, and I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you again

No problem, things can be difficult to explain when you are still learning the lingo ;)

Adding water will help. Replacing the weir will solve your problem as well significantly improve your skimming capability. With the weir in place all the water sucked into the skimmer has to go through the smaller area above the weir plate, which drastically increases the velocity of the water pulling all the debris into the skimmer with it. I have never replaced one, but it read it to be easy. Good luck and ask any question you need to. Along with pictures we'll get you up and running.