Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaky pool connection

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaky pool connection

Hello,
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    I replaced the skimmer housing (this is the before picture) but had to reuse the hose male smooth adapter (appears gray). And I reused the same clamps and white hose. It initially didn't leak but now I think there is leakage from above the hose male smooth adapter as well as from between the hose and the adapter. I'm not sure I used enough Teflon tape or applied it in the right clockwise orientation with the adapter to make a water tight connection. I ordered a new adapter which I will use to replace the gray one. Should I use Teflon tape again or should I use thread sealant (TFE paste with Teflon)? And should I use any sealant or other compound between the smooth adapter and the hose or are the clamps enough? Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/Harvey-023030-Pint-Paste-Teflon/dp/B000FPDL7O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467037211&sr=8-3&keywords=tfe+paste

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX10...ords=spx1091z4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaky pool connection

Not necessarily my area of expertise, but I'm going to try and get you some help.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdaddy View Post
    Hello,
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    I replaced the skimmer housing (this is the before picture) but had to reuse the hose male smooth adapter (appears gray). And I reused the same clamps and white hose. It initially didn't leak but now I think there is leakage from above the hose male smooth adapter as well as from between the hose and the adapter. I'm not sure I used enough Teflon tape or applied it in the right clockwise orientation with the adapter to make a water tight connection. I ordered a new adapter which I will use to replace the gray one. Should I use Teflon tape again or should I use thread sealant (TFE paste with Teflon)? And should I use any sealant or other compound between the smooth adapter and the hose or are the clamps enough? Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/Harvey-023030-Pint-Paste-Teflon/dp/B000FPDL7O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467037211&sr=8-3&keywords=tfe+paste

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX10...ords=spx1091z4
    Welcome.

I would try first without any tape or thread sealant. Personally I always use just a few wraps of Teflon tape on any threaded fitting that would be impossible to tighten without cutting pipe, otherwise, in a situation like this I would first try without tape first as it is removable/able to tighten after the install (just most likely inconvenient).

If you do use tape, don't over-do-it. Too much tape and over tightening can lead to expanding the female thread to the point of failure (cracking).

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Pat asked me to stop by

Are you going to remove during winter or from the looks of it this is a permanent setup..

If permanent I would use purple primer and oatay PVC cement on both connections and make them permanent, no more leaks

If not permanent, use this stuff
    Weld-On 87685 Blue Seal Plastic and Metal Pipe Thread Sealant with Brush in Cap Applicator, 1/2 pint Can: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

The hose connection to skimmer is not permanent. I usually loosen the clamps and put the hose/pumpunit inside for the winter. Would you use the Weld-On sealant on both the threaded and slip-on connection?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I am not sure, I don't think it would hurt, it is basically like contact cement, at least that is what I read somewhere here in the last 3 years
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

where do you recommend purchasing replacement 1.5 inch pool hoses?

8. Back To Top    #8

how long should I wait before using the pump and getting the PVC pipe wet after applying the weld-on sealant?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

At least an hour but better overnight of you can

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response.

10. Back To Top    #10

Get RectorSeal T plus 2. You can get it at Lowes or Home depot. Buy some gas line rated yellow teflon tape. Apply the Rectorseal followed by a few turns of teflon tape. I guarantee it will withstand any pressure. The pipe will burst before stuff leaks. Good luck. Oh, and the stuff does not dry out or get hard. It's wonderful stuff.
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)