leak at air bleeder assembly

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I have a Pentair Triton II filter, which has the air bleeder and pressure gauge at the top. The bleeder assembly itself is screwed tightly onto the threaded part that comes out of the top, however, it looks like the leak is coming from under the hex nut that secures the threaded part to the top of filter. I have not removed the cover, but I was thinking that maybe there was also a locking nut on the inside top that is loose, because if I remove the bleeder/gauge, the threaded part just turns and you cannot tighten the nut on top. Kinda hard to explain, so here is a link to a short video I shot of where it is leaking. Also, it doesn't leak all the time, only when I turn the gauge to view it, or mess with it. But I have been noticing that when I turn on the pump after being off for a while, the pump is not primed, and air shoots out of the return jets until pump is primed, which may be related to this, or something eles, like the pump pasket ring needing lube or replacement.

Good explanation and the video was on point. You're correct, there's a retaining nut on the back side of the air relief as well as an O-ring (part #154661). Could just be dry and in need of lube or worn and in need of replacement. My opinion would be to replace, such a cheap part and hard to get to equals replace all day. Also an air leak at the filter will cause the filter to empty and can create prime struggles on the filter pump.

GL!

I was able to tighten it a bit by pulling up on the threadied shaft with pliers while I was tightening the nut on outside.does not appear to be leaking, but need to leave pump off for a few hours for another test. I also replaced the o-ring on the super pump, as well, because I had an extra one, and the current one was getting matted down.

If I were to replace O-ring you mentied, I assume I need to remove the top cover of the filter? I tried to remove it looking for the retaining nut the other day, but I was not able to turn it using moderate force. Do you really have to put some effort into loosening it?

Yes, it takes some effort. Two people are best to even out the torque on the removal tool. If you're the only one you can try to put pressure on one ear of the handle while you gently whack the other handle ear with a rubber mallet. Careful though, I've broken more lid removal tools than I'd like to admit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.