Fire Pit Height - show me your fire pits

May 26, 2016
Northeast MA
We're in the process of designing our pool and patio for next spring and having a fire pit with seating wall put in. What's a good height for the fire pit? The patio guy said they usually do 15" finished height, but I asked to bring it up to 18". The seating wall finished height will be 21". Fire pit will be 4.5' round. Seating wall will be 3' from the fire pit. They originally had 4', but I said that's too far and moved it closer to the 3' mark.

that's a really good point re: seating height. our pit is supposed to be 18" high with the sitting/retaining wall around it being 18" (20" finished height I suppose). PB usually does either 12" or 18" but perhaps we could take it down to 15" so the pit is lower than the surrounding walls.

As the title states: "SHOW ME" implies pictures.

Here's mine:

2B9E8E5C-F311-407F-B969-97A61CC8D2DC.jpg

FDB8F655-2CFE-42C5-8C97-53A343278F05.jpg

And finally a shot from the house with pool in foreground. That little orange glow in the way back... that's the fire pit as it was dying out.

E8943946-3107-4669-BC90-916589994B0D.jpg

Our seating wall is going to be 21" finished height, so it would be 3" taller than the fire pit. I think this is enough, but would like some other real world experiences and opinions. I don't want it to look too small in relation to the seating wall around it.

I actually built my fire pit last weekend. Its currently 18" high but once we get the pavers installed it will be 16". With my seating being 18" and the fire pit currently at 18" it is still very comfortable. I would try to keep it even or a few inches shorter than what your seating height will be.

Mine is gas with colored glass in it-

45d9bdaeb61e8572638c735e74c74ad4.jpg

The glass comes from a outfit out in Utah called American Specialty Glass. It really lights up at night and I love not having to clean out ashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How tall is it?

18" from the paver deck to the top of the ledge

4' 6" total ledge diameter

30" fire pit opening.

Fire pit has a stainless steel natural gas distribution ring (holes pointing down) with fire brick and cement on the bottom up to the ring. The ring is 12" up from the base (at the height of the gas shut-off valve in that picture) and has 3" of lava rock surrounding it and filling in the bottom half of the pit. There is then a mound of 4" of ASG fire pit glass. It took roughly 75 lbs of glass to make the mound.

The blackened steel wire pit cover was bought off Amazon for $40. Keeps debris off the glass.

You want the firepit lower than seating around it. 2-3" below seating area will suffice. But I do think 3' is still too far from the pit, I have my seating area (built in) at 2' and I think that distance is perfect, but also depends on the ledge width of the firepit. I have my firepit with a 1' ledge so effectively 3' from fire.

I am thinking of making a gas one. What was the process? Where is the tank located?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I have NG. Ran a tee off my 2" gas line feeding the pool heater. There's a buried 1" line that feeds my fire pit and gas grille (not in picture).

My landscape contractor built it as part of our backyard renovation. It's all locally sourced bricks with the inside if the pit mortared so that the outside of the pit has a natural, stacked stone look. The general location was set prior to the hardscape pavers by where the gas contractor laid the pipe and valve. Then the pavers were cut out to the correct size and shape of the pit. A brick base was laid in cement and the the pit was built up from there.

All in all, it was far cheaper for the landscaper to build the pit custom to our liking than to buy one prefab'ed as none of the prefab units we actually liked were in the price range we needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.