Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire Pit Height - show me your fire pits

1. Back To Top    #1

Fire Pit Height - show me your fire pits

We're in the process of designing our pool and patio for next spring and having a fire pit with seating wall put in. What's a good height for the fire pit? The patio guy said they usually do 15" finished height, but I asked to bring it up to 18". The seating wall finished height will be 21". Fire pit will be 4.5' round. Seating wall will be 3' from the fire pit. They originally had 4', but I said that's too far and moved it closer to the 3' mark.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fire Pit Height - show me your fire pits

Consider the chairs you'll have around the pit... people like to prop their feet up on the edge of the firepit and if its too high, it wouldn't be too comfortable.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

that's a really good point re: seating height. our pit is supposed to be 18" high with the sitting/retaining wall around it being 18" (20" finished height I suppose). PB usually does either 12" or 18" but perhaps we could take it down to 15" so the pit is lower than the surrounding walls.

4. Back To Top    #4

As the title states: "SHOW ME" implies pictures.

Here's mine:

And finally a shot from the house with pool in foreground. That little orange glow in the way back... that's the fire pit as it was dying out.

25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

5. Back To Top    #5

Our seating wall is going to be 21" finished height, so it would be 3" taller than the fire pit. I think this is enough, but would like some other real world experiences and opinions. I don't want it to look too small in relation to the seating wall around it.

6. Back To Top    #6

I actually built my fire pit last weekend. Its currently 18" high but once we get the pavers installed it will be 16". With my seating being 18" and the fire pit currently at 18" it is still very comfortable. I would try to keep it even or a few inches shorter than what your seating height will be.

18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey, I'm at work so I don't have exact dimensions but I will measure when I get home

8. Back To Top    #8

Mine is gas with colored glass in it-

The glass comes from a outfit out in Utah called American Specialty Glass. It really lights up at night and I love not having to clean out ashes.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post

The glass comes from a outfit out in Utah called American Specialty Glass. It really lights up at night and I love not having to clean out ashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How tall is it?
    Inground vinyl 23'x40' Aspen shape, ~27K gallons, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2 VST Pump, Sta-Rite System:3 Mod DE Filter (60 sq ft), Hybrid In-Floor System (Paramount Valve with Caretaker Heads), AquaComfort Heat Pump, 3x Savi Melody Sol 28W LED Lights, Pentair IC60 SWCG, EasyTouch Automation with ScreenLogic, TF-100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Captnmorgan2826 View Post
    Hey, I'm at work so I don't have exact dimensions but I will measure when I get home

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Thanks, if you don't mind, can you measure the seat height of your chairs too for reference? Looks like they're a little lower than the fire pit, do you like it that way?
    Inground vinyl 23'x40' Aspen shape, ~27K gallons, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2 VST Pump, Sta-Rite System:3 Mod DE Filter (60 sq ft), Hybrid In-Floor System (Paramount Valve with Caretaker Heads), AquaComfort Heat Pump, 3x Savi Melody Sol 28W LED Lights, Pentair IC60 SWCG, EasyTouch Automation with ScreenLogic, TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Fire Pit Height - show me your fire pits

Quote Originally Posted by jtrovato21 View Post
    How tall is it?
    18" from the paver deck to the top of the ledge

4' 6" total ledge diameter

30" fire pit opening.

Fire pit has a stainless steel natural gas distribution ring (holes pointing down) with fire brick and cement on the bottom up to the ring. The ring is 12" up from the base (at the height of the gas shut-off valve in that picture) and has 3" of lava rock surrounding it and filling in the bottom half of the pit. There is then a mound of 4" of ASG fire pit glass. It took roughly 75 lbs of glass to make the mound.

The blackened steel wire pit cover was bought off Amazon for $40. Keeps debris off the glass.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

Pit height 15'' wall height 21'' the chair height is 15'' but I prefer to sit in a different chair that is 18'' high

13. Back To Top    #13

You want the firepit lower than seating around it. 2-3" below seating area will suffice. But I do think 3' is still too far from the pit, I have my seating area (built in) at 2' and I think that distance is perfect, but also depends on the ledge width of the firepit. I have my firepit with a 1' ledge so effectively 3' from fire.
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir

14. Back To Top    #14

I am thinking of making a gas one. What was the process? Where is the tank located?

2015 12X24 Above ground pool/vinyl liner/Cartirage filter/1.5 HP variable pump/Taylor K-2006 - BBB

15. Back To Top    #15

Some beautiful fire pits in here. Now I am ashamed of posting my ghetto one earlier.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

16. Back To Top    #16

Fire pit has a stainless steel natural gas distribution ring (holes pointing down)
    Why did you do this? Does the flame disperse better?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
    Some beautiful fire pits in here. Now I am ashamed of posting my ghetto one earlier.
    Are you kidding? I like how big your pit is as well as being wood burning. It looks very campfire like
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnG View Post
    I am thinking of making a gas one. What was the process? Where is the tank located?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    I have NG. Ran a tee off my 2" gas line feeding the pool heater. There's a buried 1" line that feeds my fire pit and gas grille (not in picture).

My landscape contractor built it as part of our backyard renovation. It's all locally sourced bricks with the inside if the pit mortared so that the outside of the pit has a natural, stacked stone look. The general location was set prior to the hardscape pavers by where the gas contractor laid the pipe and valve. Then the pavers were cut out to the correct size and shape of the pit. A brick base was laid in cement and the the pit was built up from there.

All in all, it was far cheaper for the landscaper to build the pit custom to our liking than to buy one prefab'ed as none of the prefab units we actually liked were in the price range we needed.

Matt

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017 View Post
    Why did you do this? Does the flame disperse better?
    Keeps rock/glass/dust/debris out of the holes so that it doesn't clog.

Matt

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
    Haha. I felt proud of mine also until I seen these. I still have a long way to go.

18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast