Advice for cloudy water?

Jun 27, 2016
Ithaca, New York
Hello!

We have a 18x48 Intex pool, 6,500 gallons. . We have a cartridge filter and a saltwater generator. We have a 1500gph pump.

We used the pool last year with very few problems.

This year, when we opened it, the water was green. Determined it was algae, and we seemed to have cleaned that up. Now the water is cloudy and despite our best efforts, it has been for two weeks.

We started with a visit to the pool store (where we got Pool Stored) and that did nothing. Did lots of research and found lots of posts here. We've shocked the pool many times, cleaning the filter multiple times a day. We switched to the Wal-Mart filters after reading a post here. No change. Then we started using bleach (we used the pool calculator, so I think we added the right amount), no change. The pump has been running non-stop for a week straight (hello, electric bill).

Last night we decided to turn the pump off and see if, by some miracle, we could get sediment on the bottom. No luck. This morning we got desperate and decided to try floc and vacuum to waste. We put the floc in this AM. I know most people here advise against using the store chemicals, but after a week of nothingness, we thought we'd give it one more try.

My daughter's birthday party is the 10th, so we made a decision that if we can't see any improvement by this Friday, we are going to have to dump the water. We really, really, don't want to do that.

I know we will be advised to the get the fancy test kit, but we don't have the $ right now (teacher on maternity leave/summer break), especially since we might have to pay $300 for new water.

Husband is going to take the water to be tested a bit later, so I will post the results when I can.

But any advice in the meantime?? We are pretty frustrated, especially since it has been 90 degrees and we have an unusable pool.

Thanks all.
Liz

Everything we teach revolves around accurate testing. The pool store testing is bogus so that doesn't help us.

You can limp along and guess at what you are doing and you will probably get the same results or you can follow what we teach and clear your pool. That requires you to get involved and test and understand why and what your test for.

I am sorry to sound harsh but having a good set of tests (the pool store won't work) is the only viable path....you have to choose. If you decide to follow our advice, you will learn more about pool water chemistry than you ever thought possible and you will be able to manage your pool successfully from here on out.

I just cleaned up my cloudy water in a day and a half. Find out your cya level and use the chart to see your shock level. use the calculator and add the necessary amount of bleach. PH aroun 7.2 works best. maintain that shock level until you pass the overnight chlorine loss test. It really is simple. Brush vaccum, brush vaccum. repeat

Dave is correct and I agree, so my first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something that probably won't work.

I will tell you, it didn't get this way overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

You already admit you have been "pool stored", but you are going there again?? Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis.

Money may be tight, but it's money well spent to take control of your pool.

You're in a difficult spot for a couple reasons. Intex cartridge filters are notoriously bad and undersized for the pools they are sold with. This usually is not a problem if proper chemistry is constantly maintained. However, if the pool goes cloudy or green, it's difficult to recover even if you get the chemistry back in line. BUT... It can be done!

With that caveat, if you get yourself a proper test kit that can test for CYA and has a FAS-DPD chlorine test, you can clear the pool (Hint: the TF-100 in my signature is the best value on the market). The SLAM procedure is not a single treatment. It's a process where your FC must be maintained as much as possible at the shock level, based on your CYA until you pass the 3 criteria to end the SLAM. The limiting factors will be, how often you can maintain (re-dose to keep at shock level) FC and once you've assured that all algae is dead, how long it takes your filter to filter it all out. Since you're just cloudy, you may have a chance, but you need a proper home test kit so you know your CYA. This determines the FC you need to maintain. The FAS-DPD chlorine test allows you to measure that level accurately and conveniently to complete the process.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

There really is no way to mix methods. This method here works, but it works using numbers that are obtained by the test kit (pool store number will not work). With the numbers from the test kit you make the necessary adjustments to your waters to obtain clarity and health. You cannot use this method with another, this method requires complete dedication to obtain the desired results.

I completely understand budget confinements. I can say with certainty the money you are spending at the pool store in addition to the time you spend fighting the water to never really have it healthy and clear with be much more costly (dollar and sanity wise) in the long run. Well when you get into the pool store you feel it on the wallet immediately. The frustration is a slower burn.

You can start again with water, but you don't have the necessary tools to maintain it, so you will be caught in a never ending circle of frustration. There is no end to that. Getting the test kit, following the method is an immediate savings and breaks the cycle.

The money and time you will h

Wait! We only went to the pool store once. We're not going anymore!! In the absence of our own test kit, we just wanted to get an idea of what the levels are. Even if I order the test kit today, it still won't be here in a few days, so we need some sort of idea where we are.

I feel confident we will order the test kit in the future. I'm just not sure we can get it here (after we get paid Thursday) and get the water clean in time for the birthday party?

Also, we did read pool school ... that's how we figured out how to shock properly, but we've been doing it for a week with no change.

Also, we have a one month old and a 4 year old...so the pool is not getting our undivided attention - we are doing the best we can!

Also, we did read pool school ... that's how we figured out how to shock properly, but we've been doing it for a week with no change.

Can completely relate to everything you said, I just wanted you to know that.

Wanted to point out the sentence above (what I quoted from a reply of yours). As folks have explained what is done here as far as method, is done based on the kit test results. So Reading pool school and figuring out how to SLAM properly is excellent. It takes a bit for it all to sink in and then when you are hands on it all just starts to make sense.

When you said you read and figured out how to shock properly and have been doing it for a week with no change, that was a very important sentence. You SLAM (it's a procedure where you elevate Free Chlorine to Shock Level And Maintain) based on readings from your kit. Most likely the reason you did not see any improvement was because your starting numbers from the pool store were not on point, and couple that with not being able to monitor throughout and Maintain Free Chlorine levels, consistently for the period of time required to clear your pool (you need to pass 3 criteria to be able to drift out of SLAM).

Do as Duraleigh stated (others may have too) Add a jug of plain, no frills, Household Clorox bleach nightly. Brush the pool too, because that takes the "shield" of protection off the Algae you are eliminating from the waters quickly.

Between now and the 10th if you take action quickly, follow the method, allow the filter to do its job ~ you could easily have this licked for the party. But there really is nothing you can do with the pool store numbers, they simply are not accurate, so save the gas and time of going to store. Add your nightly jug of bleach after the sun has fallen off the water, and brush, you can't brush too much so even if you find yourself with a couple of minutes grab the brush and have at. I know spare minutes are at a premium for you guys, but anytime at all you can get the brush in there you are speeding along the process.

Good Luck ~ I do hope things work out for the swim party.

Hello!

We have a 18x48 Intex pool, 6,500 gallons. . We have a cartridge filter and a saltwater generator. We have a 1500gph pump.

We used the pool last year with very few problems.

This year, when we opened it, the water was green. Determined it was algae, and we seemed to have cleaned that up. Now the water is cloudy and despite our best efforts, it has been for two weeks.

We started with a visit to the pool store (where we got Pool Stored) and that did nothing. Did lots of research and found lots of posts here. We've shocked the pool many times, cleaning the filter multiple times a day. We switched to the Wal-Mart filters after reading a post here. No change. Then we started using bleach (we used the pool calculator, so I think we added the right amount), no change. The pump has been running non-stop for a week straight (hello, electric bill).

Last night we decided to turn the pump off and see if, by some miracle, we could get sediment on the bottom. No luck. This morning we got desperate and decided to try floc and vacuum to waste. We put the floc in this AM. I know most people here advise against using the store chemicals, but after a week of nothingness, we thought we'd give it one more try.

My daughter's birthday party is the 10th, so we made a decision that if we can't see any improvement by this Friday, we are going to have to dump the water. We really, really, don't want to do that.

I know we will be advised to the get the fancy test kit, but we don't have the $ right now (teacher on maternity leave/summer break), especially since we might have to pay $300 for new water.

Husband is going to take the water to be tested a bit later, so I will post the results when I can.

But any advice in the meantime?? We are pretty frustrated, especially since it has been 90 degrees and we have an unusable pool.

Thanks all.
Liz
Get acquainted with the SLAM process, as that's what you'll be going through to clear this up. It will be impossible without test results that you get from the right kit.

Since you don't have the kit now, you can still do something to try and address the issue. The pool store test results are better than nothing. The CYA level will tell you how much chlorine you need to start your SLAM. But it will be impossible to continue and complete the SLAM without the right test kit, since you won't be able to ensure that your FC (free chlorine) levels are as high as they need to be.

You also mentioned that your pool is 18x48, 6500 gallons. That would make it only 1' deep. Are you sure you have your measurements correct? That's going to be very important when determining how much chlorine to add.

Post the test results when you have them, and we can take another look.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all for your replies. I'm sort of stuck in the house with the baby, so I am trying to troubleshoot with/for my husband as he passes through... our communication is not the best at the moment as we're a little sleep deprived and I am pretty sure he wants to bury the pool. :)

Yes, it's a an 18 foot round pool, 48 inches tall.

Does it have to be Chlorox bleach? We've been using store brand.

I will order the test kit tonight after I get the kids to bed.

Any brand will do. Just make sure it's plain bleach.

And go with what Duraleigh's instructions. One jug per evening until your kit arrives.

I am a single Mom, I run the house, yard, pool and work a very full time job. I have nothing in on those kit sales, but I really do feel if you invest in the kit and follow the method here it will save your family money, your water will be the healthiest water you have access to and once everything clicks it takes minutes a day to test and stay on top of. I know it seems like an obscene amount of money to put out for a kit. But if you get the cheapie kits, strips, etc. and you get into that pool store game ~ you are going to be out so much more money. This is a very economical investment and you know without a doubt once you take an interest in the waters, you are providing safe water for your family to enjoy.

Edit to add:
Pour the bleach slowly in front of the return when you pump/filter is running. I do mine about a pencil diameter flow. Then I like to get the brush in there. Sometimes I don't have the time to brush it all, I go clockwise each time I have a few minutes and keep a general Idea of where I left off. Once you are able to test your CYA with accuracy, we'll know exactly how much household bleach/ liquid chlorine you need to add to get you in SLAM. If you maintain SLAM levels and allow the filter to run throughout the process hopefully it will clear in time for the party. Keeping it in SLAM is key to a speedier process. Test a couple times a day if possible and top it off. You can get your bleach and a dedicated measuring cup. Filter running throughout also key (as well as the brushing). For now though 1 jug an evening until kit arrives. I am in PA near Pittsburgh, mine arrived very quickly. If you are able to order it tonight, I will bet you will have it in your hands by the weekend.

Folks here are extremely cool about walking you through the various tests and assisting with dosage as you get your bearings. SO don't hesitate to ask all the questions you have along the way. I know it seems like blind faith at first and it pretty much is. I can tell you though with that kit, if you follow this method you will have pristine healthy water, and it will be at a considerable savings compared to going Pool Store method that never actually gets the result you desire.

At this time, if you are getting the test on order tonight, do not put anything other than the jug of bleach in the pool.
Your local walmart may have a 10% bleach for 2.50 a jug it's worth looking into as well.

Walmart bleach or any grocery store bleach as long as its fresh (check the date code, often written in Julian date) is usually 8.25%. You can check with pool stores to see if they sell a higher concentration then work out which is cheaper.

No scents, no outdoor bleach, no dripless bleach...just plain old fashioned plain bleach.

Thanks all for your replies. I'm sort of stuck in the house with the baby, so I am trying to troubleshoot with/for my husband as he passes through... our communication is not the best at the moment as we're a little sleep deprived and I am pretty sure he wants to bury the pool. :)

Yes, it's a an 18 foot round pool, 48 inches tall.

Does it have to be Chlorox bleach? We've been using store brand.

I will order the test kit tonight after I get the kids to bed.
Did you ever get a chance to have the pool store test the water? Again, the CYA (stabilizer) level is going to be key to begin the SLAM process.

Let's presume for a moment that the pool store test results will be somewhat accurate. When you get those results, you should have a decent understanding of which chemicals are needed to:
1. Balance the pH and Total Alkalinity of the pool
2. Determine if your CYA level needs to be raised or lowered.
3. Determine how much chlorine you need to add to get it to the starting point for your SLAM.

Starting the SLAM with a single test result from the pool store is do-able. Continuing the SLAM without your own test kit is going to be difficult.

I know it seems like the folks are being very picky about having the test kit. If I'm honest, I've been where you are, and tried do this without the kit. It just doesn't work. I'd clear it up with a truly excessive amount of bleach (5 jugs into a 6000 gallon pool), and wind up green and cloudy again a couple weeks later.

The test kit is the best way to truly understand your pool, what you're putting in, and why.

I agree 1 jug of bleach is a good start. Just make sure it has a concentration percentage on it. Dollar store/bargain brand bleach can be very diluted. If the test results indicate that you need more than that to start your slam, then I'd suggest putting that amount in at least enough to start the SLAM. But it's not a one and done. You'll need to keep adding bleach until it's clean.

Good luck, and post test results when you have them.

Did you ever get a chance to have the pool store test the water? Again, the CYA (stabilizer) level is going to be key to begin the SLAM process.

No, we didn't end up going, since it's not really close and everyone convinced me it was inaccurate. I ordered a test kit. If it's not here by Wednesday we might do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a single Mom, I run the house, yard, pool and work a very full time job. I have nothing in on those kit sales, but I really do feel if you invest in the kit and follow the method here it will save your family money, your water will be the healthiest water you have access to and once everything clicks it takes minutes a day to test and stay on top of. I know it seems like an obscene amount of money to put out for a kit. But if you get the cheapie kits, strips, etc. and you get into that pool store game ~ you are going to be out so much more money. This is a very economical investment and you know without a doubt once you take an interest in the waters, you are providing safe water for your family to enjoy.

My hat is off to you. I feel like I am barely surviving at this point, and I am off for the summer. Second baby is sooo much more difficult than the first - he wants to eat constantly, so I feel tethered to the rocking chair! Thanks for your advice, kit is ordered, so we will see.

Liz

I could tell when I read your post right where you were at in your head. Mine are older now, but it sticks with a person for a lifetime I guess :) And yep that second baby is such an adjustment. But congratulations & hopefully it won't be too long before you can get out of that rocker a bit. Getting the pool set up and the water healthy & clear will make for some nice memories and will maybe distract the eating machine allowing you both some time outside to enjoy it.

If you follow this through you guys will recoup the price of the kit easily. Try to add the bleach nightly and allow the filter to run. Once you get the kit you or your husband will run the tests and post your results and folks here will walk you through what you need to do while you are learning the method. Once you learn it, it's just like riding a bike or for you grading a paper, you'll be on auto pilot with this method before you know it.

You have the pressure of that party hanging over your head and you are going to be tempted to add things to the water, please try and avoid that urge, it will most likely be spending monies you don't need to spend for "solutions" that aren't resolve. This water management is resolve, but you have to follow it to a T in order for that to be possible. As soon as you start seeing the change in your water your frustration will start to pass.

Kit will be to you in a couple days you can safely buy 8 jugs of bleach ahead of its arrival so you have it sitting there ready. Store it out of the sun and keep it as cool as possible. I buy mine 12 at a time, when I open that last case I know I need to stop at the hardware store. When you begin to clear this water don't allow yourself to run out of bleach or it will delay things. You are trying to clear by a deadline, so it's going to be important for you and your husband to test the water and keep it in SLAM from the time the kit arrives until you can drift out of SLAM and lets hope it's sooner than the 9th :) The testing is straightforward and you and your husband will both be able to do it quickly, minutes at a time throughout the day so don't fret that either.

I know you are concerned about the electric bill I am now at the point of running the filter 2 hours per day, I am in full sun and it's been hotter than blazes here. Once you get that water under control it may be possible for you to run your filter less per day as well. So you will surely save money on chemicals, that's an absolute given, you will save time and the frustration will be eliminated, I can say that's a given as well (provided you follow the method completely) and you may also save some bucks with the filter running less hours per day.

You made the right choice tonight, even if you are reading this, feeding the baby thinking you have lost your mind spending that much money on a kit. You made the right choice because you will be completely in charge and aware of you water conditions, this will be an education. You will very soon have healthy water for you guys and the little ones, that's just so important.

Hang in there. And my hat goes off to you, best of luck with your young family and the job you do educating children is one of the most important jobs in the world that I don't think gets any of the recognition it should.

We'll be watching for you to post that your kit has arrived and you'll have all the help you will need to get that water clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.