Advice for cloudy water?

When I use the PoolMath, it says to add bleach of 6%. I think mine is 7.85% (see above post)... is that correct? Or is 6% the standard?

You can change the % of the chlorine in Pool Math to what you have.

There are many different strengths of bleach. If it is not listed do not buy it as it is not high enough to bother with.

Kim:cat:

- - - Updated - - -

Ok! Here's my understanding. To get a FC of 31 I needed to add two jugs of bleach. Done. Will check in the AM and add as needed, along with brushing and vacuuming. The TA seems to be off, but will address that once we can get the water clear. Sound correct?

Good plan! TA is the last thing we tweak.

Right now FC every time at least 3 times a day. More if possible but at least 3. You can test CC every once in a while if you want.

Kim:cat:

When I use the PoolMath, it says to add bleach of 6%. I think mine is 7.85% (see above post)... is that correct? Or is 6% the standard?

It's the % of sodium hypochlorite. Your bleach is 8.25% sodium hypochlorite, which yields 7.85% available chlorine. Use the 8.25% calculation.

No! This is wrong. Our FC is 7. (14x.5)
Correct, drops X 0.5

Dom

The water looks great! Not totally clear but we can see the bottom.

I'll be honest. We are sleep deprived. When husband did the test, he couldn't remember how many drops. We figured since he wrote down 70 ppm that he did the math wrong. I think now that he put in 70 drops. We didn't re-check because we were in the midst of our evening fun where our newborn needs to be soothed every 30 minutes until ten.

But! He once he went to sleep, he only woke up once so we are both much more coherent today.

Swimming while slamming?

Hi all,
I thought I read somewhere that you can swim while you are in the SLAM process. My question is, how do you know when you can swim? For example, all my other levels are good except the FC is too high and the TA is too high. What are the guidelines for when you can swim?

Re: Swimming while slamming?

It is safe to swim up to Shock Level based on your CYA. Although, it is all up to your personal preference, depending on what the overall condition of the water is? Can you post up some pictures and test results? Also, what are you using for testing (what test kit?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I was told that it is safe to swim as long as your Free Chlorine is under SLAM levels. When I was finishing a SLAM and wanted to swim I would let the FC level drop just a touch and then raise it right back up after. It didn't seem to set me back at all. I would advise wearing older swimsuits, etc. because they could fade a bit.

I have another post going. We are trying to clear up some cloudy water. It's not clear yet but getting there (we can see the bottom). We are using the Taylor-2006. We made a mistake and our FC is over shock level so we are waiting for it to come down. CYA 80, TA 275, ph 7.5, CH 350, CC 1.5. FC currently 49 (shock level 31).

We are waiting for the FC to get under control before adjusting the TA. But we have a birthday party next Sunday (the tenth) that I am a little worried about. I'm hoping the FC will be down by then, but wondering if we still need to be SLAM-ing (which I really hope we don't) if the kids can still swim.

I think the algae is gone and it's just dead stuff clouding up the water. We've been brushing, vacuuming and vacuuming to waste.

No pic right now, but looks like it did last summer before we found this site.

Thanks!

Yes all good to swim up to SLAM level.

You need to keep SLAMming until all 3 are passed

Your water is clear,
CC<0.5 and
Overnight FC loss is <1.0

Your FC should come down to an acceptable level perhaps in a couple of days to your SLAM level -even more so if you still have stuff consuming your chlorine. FC loss is percentage based- i.e. if you are at FC 10 and lose 50% you will be at 5 FC. If you are at 40 FC then 20 FC-very simplistic explanation but hope that makes sense.

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
and the water is clear

We swam every day during a SLAM last summer with CYA at 70 and FC at 28.

I know I need to deal with FC before TA, I just am not sure what I will need to do. We picked up some stuff today but I see the pH will decrease, what do I need to do to increase the pH? The kit doesn't come with a test for borate, do I need to go get one of those too?

Lowering TA isn't all that important. And is not required for lots of swimming. Lowering your PH to 7.2 when it gets to 8.0 will slowly lower your TA.

Here is all you need for safe swimming
FC above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH between 7.2 and 7.8
Clear water

:paddle:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.