Video: Of my oval AGP installed on retaining wall due to unlevel yard

johnnysnok

Feb 25, 2011
South Jersey
Most of you have seen photos of my pool in the past and of my particular bad sloping yard and what i did to compensate the slope by building a retaining wall and installing our pool on top of it.

I got a request from a friend of mine out of state to show him a video of it.

So i thought i would do a second one also for the TFP folks here who may be thinking of putting a pool in there backyard which may also have a slope.

Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

looks really nice! I'd like to thank you for your creative stair attachment. I just bought the parts this weekend and am planning on doing that with my steps. I just have to add another connector so I can unscrew them for the winter. It pains me to have to drill through my deck, though.

What don't you like about the Timbertek? I love my Wolf deck. My sister is looking into Timbertek.

Fabulous work!! I hope our new-this-spring AGP looks half as nice in five years :)

We also back filled; our yard had an old landfill in it the landscaper discovered during leveling; he over dug about five feet across about a fourth of pool footprint to remove all the trash (three dump trucks full), then back filled and compacted using crushed concrete. Sorry no pics during that process; we were caught off guard and befuddled, and forgot about taking pics.

Very nice. Does your TimberTek decking receive afternoon sun? How hot does it get? I'm planning an AGP with composite decking to match an existing covered deck, but I'm now reading a lot about how hot composite decking gets in direct sunlight.

We have a composite deck (UltraDeck Rustic Redwood), and gets too hot for bare feet; we all bought water shoes.

looks really nice! I'd like to thank you for your creative stair attachment. I just bought the parts this weekend and am planning on doing that with my steps. I just have to add another connector so I can unscrew them for the winter. It pains me to have to drill through my deck, though.

What don't you like about the Timbertek? I love my Wolf deck. My sister is looking into Timbertek.

Thank You, here is a write link i did for my stair support arm. it gives a little more detail on what i did, not that its hard but it may help you a little.

My Wedding Cake support arm fix write up.

First let me say that Timbertek has come a long way since i built my deck. There rail and spindle are now completely different than they are now. I had to have all of my railing system completely replaced due to horrible staining and mildewing. They paid for the material but not the labor to have it cut and installed. Its still the same it needs constant attention to keep clean but maybe the newer system is better? My deck boards do get very hot in the afternoon sun, a lot of people do the 2 step or a fast river dance looking for a shaded spot to run to when they get out of the pool. :D

I barely have any wood grain texture left on my deck boards from the amount of brushing and pressure washing i have done over the years and they get just as dirty as the top hand rails. Hidden fasteners were not out yet which i feel really make the biggest difference in a deck. Looking down and seeing 9,000 screw heads isn't pretty. Believe it or not but i do get a good amount of expansion and contraction also which really surprised me.
My older deck boards are also solid, a lot of manufactures now have hollow tubes inside there boards to make them much lighter but still retaining there strength.
There are also some beautiful colors out now.

This is not a Timbertek bashing just some of my insight on what i went thru and had to deal with. Its just like anything else that's new at the time eventually things get better and more companies start making it.

I cant imagine any composite deck not getting hot in the afternoon sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for your reply. I think they've fixed the mold/mildew problem. A lot of people complain about the heat problem with composites. My pool deck is solid pvc and I have no problems walking barefoot on it on a 95 degree day. I've made the suggestion, but older siblings don't always take the younger one's advice.

As for the stairs, I have to put the stairs in the pool then slide the arm on to attach it to the deck. I have the confer curve steps. So, I need a way to slide the pvc onto the steps then attach to the flange on the deck. I think I can use the connectors that the PB used to hard plumb the filter. It's 3 pieces: one for each end of the pipe and one that screws on to hold the 2 pieces together. That way, I won't have to remove the flange. Thanks again for your build!

"Im thinking they build roads, bridges, overpasses with retaining walls, why can't I build a pool?"... bwahaha.

EXACTLY! There is nothing wrong with your thinking! Very nice job and that is a beautiful backyard you have there. Love it!

And that looks like some sparkly TFP kept water in that pool too!

Wow, you have an absolutely beautiful yard and pool. Glad to see you are happy with it. I have never been to Jersey but I confess I never thought of a setting like yours would be found up there. TV does not do Jersey justice. You did a great job. One question though, what is the red tree next to the fountain? You mentioned hitting 95 and I notice it is in direct sunlight. We get a little toastier down here but I am looking for a smallish tree like that in that color.

Wow, you have an absolutely beautiful yard and pool. Glad to see you are happy with it. I have never been to Jersey but I confess I never thought of a setting like yours would be found up there. TV does not do Jersey justice. You did a great job. One question though, what is the red tree next to the fountain? You mentioned hitting 95 and I notice it is in direct sunlight. We get a little toastier down here but I am looking for a smallish tree like that in that color.

Thanks Glock, The tree you mention is a Japanese Maple tree, they are very slow growers and love direct sun, very abundant in my area. Jersey does have some fabulous areas and like anywhere else there are some not so good. We love our little slice we have to kick back and unwind.

- - - Updated - - -

Dave thanks for the Bwahaha...that made me laugh!

Thanks Glock, The tree you mention is a Japanese Maple tree, they are very slow growers and love direct sun, very abundant in my area. Jersey does have some fabulous areas and like anywhere else there are some not so good. We love our little slice we have to kick back and unwind.

- - - Updated - - -

Dave thanks for the Bwahaha...that made me laugh!

Thank you. I was just looking at an empty tree well (taken out be large hail in a storm a few years back) wondering what I was going to put in there. Now I know. Any idea how tall they get?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the idea!

Wow, you just gave me a great idea on how to resolve an issue I have with my steps. Nice work too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.