New Pool Owner - How to Raise Ph without knowing TA?

Jun 23, 2016
San Antonio
Long time lurker, first time pool owner.
Have been reading this site and pool school for about a week, I love all the info and appreciate it the knowledge base.

My Ph went down when I added CYA yesterday (calculated for 50ppm) via the "sock method". I only have the HTH 3 Way test kit.

Pool School says I have 3500 Gallons in my 14 X 42 Intex Ultra Frame.

CL:4
PH: 6.8

I can aerate and add baking soda (?) to raise PH, but without knowing the TA how much baking soda do I add?
The pool has been up 3 days and water is clear.
The CYA in the sock was massaged and placed in front of the outlet, checked it earlier and it is almost all gone.

I am following the guidelines for smaller pools as per this site.
I will upgrade to the HTH 6-way test in a few days and I have the 2500gph pump from Amazon arriving in about 2 days along with the plunger valves and upgraded inlet and outlets.

Thank you everyone for reading this and all of your helpful suggestions.
I love the site and the community here.

Welcome to TFP :)

You have been reading, great job..

You can raise the PH by using 20 mule team in the laundry isle from walmart without moving TA or knowing what your TA is :)

Use poolmath to find how much Borax (20 mule team) to add

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
The pool you have in your signature is about 4000 gallons (14' x 42"). To raise pH from 6.8 to 7.4 you need to add about 40 oz of Borax. THIS WILL ALSO RAISE YOUR TA BY 20.

You can raise the PH by using 20 mule team in the laundry isle from walmart without moving TA or knowing what your TA is

This statement is NOT correct.

The pool you have in your signature is about 4000 gallons (14' x 42"). To raise pH from 6.8 to 7.4 you need to add about 40 oz of Borax. THIS WILL ALSO RAISE YOUR TA BY 20.

This statement is NOT correct.

Thank you for catching that, I meant to say without knowing you TA, but I forgot to go back and backspace, can I get a backspace anyone :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
are you just adding salt for water feel, if so, just put 0 for now and 1500 for target

the kit you have only goes to 5 but with 50 CYA you need your FC at 6 every day and that needs to be your target for chlorine/bleach.. are you still getting the 6 way test? never let your FC fall below 4

I hope this helps :)

Long time lurker, first time pool owner.
Have been reading this site and pool school for about a week, I love all the info and appreciate it the knowledge base.

My Ph went down when I added CYA yesterday (calculated for 50ppm) via the "sock method". I only have the HTH 3 Way test kit.

Pool School says I have 3500 Gallons in my 14 X 42 Intex Ultra Frame.

CL:4
PH: 6.8

I can aerate and add baking soda (?) to raise PH, but without knowing the TA how much baking soda do I add?
The pool has been up 3 days and water is clear.
The CYA in the sock was massaged and placed in front of the outlet, checked it earlier and it is almost all gone.

I am following the guidelines for smaller pools as per this site.
I will upgrade to the HTH 6-way test in a few days and I have the 2500gph pump from Amazon arriving in about 2 days along with the plunger valves and upgraded inlet and outlets.

Thank you everyone for reading this and all of your helpful suggestions.
I love the site and the community here.
Welcome!

IMHO, take the money for the HTH kit, and use it towards a TF-100 Test Kit. With the TF-100 you get a FAS/DPD Chlorine test good & accurate up to 50ppm that is drop based (no color matching). You also get a CYA standard solution to help understand how to properly do the CYA test, and all the needed reagents to properly test for FC, CC, PH, TA, CH & CYA. As you know from reading this site, understanding your CYA level & maintaining the correct FC ratio is the 'secret to our success'.

The HTH kit will be useless if you ever want to do an OCLT, or if you develop algae & need to SLAM. Also as already mentioned, the standard OTO chlorine test is only good for up to 5ppm, no good for maintaining your current water chemistry.

Dom

Get the test kit. no way to know what is going on without it. If you have been reading for a week, you must have seen at least a few posts admonishing folks to get the test kit recommended by this site.

the price is worth it, trust me! one trip to the pool store for chemicals you don't need is all it will cost you. Keep reading, get the kit and don't worry about TA for now, just keep your chlorine up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.