Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Private membership to pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Private membership to pool

A friend of mine came swimming on Saturday and asked if instead of her paying a yearly membership at a local country club for only three months of swimming at their pool if she could instead pay me for a summer pass to our pool. Thoughts of liability, lifeguards and bather load entered my head. Has anyone done this with success or is it just an accident waiting to happen?
    CITY: Fayetteville, NC POOL: 20x40, approx. 33000 ga, IG, Vinyl, Hayward SwimClear C3030, Hayward Max-Flo 2302VSP, Hayward T-Cell-15, Hayward ProLogic Plus 4 controller (not incredibly useful because the pump won't work with it and we don't have anything else for it to control), well water

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Private membership to pool

Maybe not pay to "use" the pool but help offset the price of chlorine, or test kit supplies... you do not have a public pool so I would not try to charge as one
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Be cautious. With payment comes certain expectations you may or not want to meet.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd go with having them pick up some supplies for the pool, such as liquid chlorine (until you get your SWG installed) or having them bring over your favorite beverage of choice in your desired quantity. I wouldn't go with the straight monetary route, something more like bartering for something else you need. That keeps things on the friendly level rather than a business relationship, implying a commercial pool, implying any liability or responsibility.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

id steer clear of any monetary arrangement. As suggested above, certain expectations can arise when someone believes they have a right to use do to payment. Imagine a knock on the door unannounced and they show up with suits on saying " we are coming to swim" rather than calling and asking if they can come over?

would you give up your right to privacy for a few hundred a month???
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Yup, with payment comes expectations and even additional legal liability.

As an example, to operate a boat for hire you need a Coast Guard Captains License. It has come down to the point after accidents and lawsuits that the courts have ruled that even if friends bring food/beer on a recreational boat trip the owner/operator of the boat is required to have a CG License due to the "barter" payments involved. It's not a big leap to say that if she is supplying the chlorine and other chemicals in a barter arrangement then you have a commercial pool.

Now, if she gets "rights" to your pool is she going to invite other friends over to "her" pool?

Other implications may be income taxes, local laws regarding "commercial" operations and homeowners insurance.

There is just too much downside to arrangements like this.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

agree'd with ALL comments here so far. Don't take a payment....just say they can use the pool, at their own risk, but you request them to supply "X" amount of chlorine for the season and "X" amount of replacement testing supplies.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Nope! Just nope! "We will call you when we are having a pool party"..........all of the above can and will happen. It is a good way to ruin a friendship and way of life. NOT worth it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Kimkats is right. With pools you have to know when to say "Yes" and politely "No".
    17K Gallon,IG Vinyl,1hp Pentair Challenger,Pentair TA60 Sand Filter, Hayward Colorlogic,Re-lined 06-20-15, TF-100,SpeedStir,Lagunitas and Margaritas. Zappafan Pool Build

10. Back To Top    #10

I would just tell them to call you when they want to swim and if you aren't doing anything then they're welcome to come over. Maybe even have a liability waiver everyone signs. Definitely too much risk for any formal arrangement or expectations.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all of the responses. Kimkat, I love your response, "We'll call you when we're having a pool party..." At first I thought it might be a good idea, but for all the reasons y'all have pointed out, it is definitely not a great idea. Thank you, y'all are really awesome.
    CITY: Fayetteville, NC POOL: 20x40, approx. 33000 ga, IG, Vinyl, Hayward SwimClear C3030, Hayward Max-Flo 2302VSP, Hayward T-Cell-15, Hayward ProLogic Plus 4 controller (not incredibly useful because the pump won't work with it and we don't have anything else for it to control), well water