Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it normal to see visibly see chlorine coming out after putting it in the skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it normal to see visibly see chlorine coming out after putting it in the skimmer?

See white haze coming into the pool after putting in the skimmer.
    Just wondering if this is normal.

Thx

S180t hayward sand filter for agp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it normal to see visibly see chlorine coming out after putting it in the skimm

Why are you putting it in the skimmer?

Liquid or granules?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Is it normal to see visibly see chlorine coming out after putting it in the skimm

it works better to pour in front of the return and not use the skimmer
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Granules in the skimmer. Seems to be a pretty common practice from what I've read and heard.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Oops! Are you using cal hypo to chlorinate?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by askinstuff View Post
    Granules in the skimmer. Seems to be a pretty common practice from what I've read and heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While many say to do it this way it is a very bad technique. It causes a very acidic environment and can damage equipment.

I wouldn't worry about what you are seeing, but would change this practice. Plus, what solid chlorine are you using? TriChlor, DiChlor or CalHypo? The first two add CYA/Stabilizer to the pool water that you may not need and the latter add calcium that your AGP does not need at all.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Exactly what my PB Bioguard dealer had us do last year, our first year. Smart Silk Sticks in the skimmer all the time, even with pump only running 10 hours a day.

Glad i found you guys.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    Exactly what my PB Bioguard dealer had us do last year, our first year. Smart Silk Sticks in the skimmer all the time, even with pump only running 10 hours a day.

Glad i found you guys.
    Hmmm, I wonder who would have wanted to repair any damage when the skimmer deteriorated..... Sorry, it's out of warranty....

9. Back To Top    #9

I've used both at one time or another

10. Back To Top    #10

I've used both at one time or another

I guess what we are asking is are you testing to make sure CYA and CH are not getting out of control?

11. Back To Top    #11

Is it normal to see visibly see chlorine coming out after putting it in the skimmer?

Yes I am. Using the tf100 test kit. Ph was actuality a little low, now it's at 7.6. Chlorine at two. Forgot the value for the cya, but remember being in the "good" range

12. Back To Top    #12

More on adding chemicals here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes I am. Using the tf100 test kit. Ph was actuality a little low, now it's at 7.6. Chlorine at two. Forgot the value for the cya, but remember being in the "good" range

There is no "good" range for CYA, that is a pool store/pool industry theory. FC & CYA must be maintained as a ratio to each other as outlined in the Chlorine / CYA Chart.

2 FC would be the absolute minimum FC level that would be allowed if the CYA was below 30.

We are really not trying to jump on you, just letting yo know that you are on the borderline for getting an algae bloom.

14. Back To Top    #14

No worries. That's why I'm asking these questions. I'm new at this. I'll check levels when I get home and post them here.

15. Back To Top    #15

Cya at 35

16. Back To Top    #16

Ye old Bioguard dealer! The more I followed their instructions the worse my water became. Also, my wallet got emptied pretty fast on a weekly basis!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

17. Back To Top    #17

Cya at 35

There really isn't a 35. The tube is a logarithmic scale, so half way between two numbers really isn't a "5". Just round up to the next higher number for calculations.

So for 40 CYA your FC should never go below 3 and you should target 5 to make sure the UV rays during the day don't take you down below 3.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

No worries. That's why I'm asking these questions. I'm new at this. I'll check levels when I get home and post them here
    We want you to keep asking questions! That is how you learn. Plus, for every person like you who does ask there are many who just read and don't ask. We try to phrase our answers to make sure they understand also.

18. Back To Top    #18

Lol, I guess 40 it is!

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieO View Post
    Ye old Bioguard dealer! The more I followed their instructions the worse my water became. Also, my wallet got emptied pretty fast on a weekly basis!
    Know that feeling when they sold me sanitizer (chlorine) with calcium. When I started with TFP I started to read labels since some of the stuff made sense finally. So they're selling me something to increase my CH like I have a plaster pool ?? And it's more expensive that the straight sanitizer. $$$
    The worst thing was the 25-50 dollar bottle of "try this" and it sure felt like that didn't have any more idea if it'd work for me than I did. So glad to have pool shelf empty of Bioguard this and that.
    Now I know what's going in and it's easier on me doing it myself rather than running to the pool store.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!