Just got done filling tonight. Now what?

Jun 27, 2016
Rib Mtn, WI
Hello guys/gals,

We just got done filling our pool tonight at about 1045pm. Needless to say I didn't do much after that besides grab an initial water sample and throw the cover on the pool. I was hoping to run the filter but its about time to hit the sack.

Here are my initial test results from a kit I purchased -

Tot. Cl2 - .5
PH - 7.2
Alk - 150
Hardness - 130

As for my next step I'm assuming add chlorine. I did pick up a couple gallons of liquid Cl2 the 10% sodium hypo flavor. On those jugs it tells me to dump the 64 oz per 10,000 gallons, so I would use roughly a half gallon of it and make sure the filter is running. Is this the proper procedure for start up or what are your suggestions?

Good link above!

Buy some stabilizer, available at Walmart, etc. Look for close to 100% cyanuric acid (CYA).

Then add 3 cups by volume.

For now, add 1/3 gallon of bleach every day until you OWN a testkit that can measure CYA.

You need to get a testkit that measures stabilizer, (CYA). For your sized pool, an HTH 6-way (Walmart carries them- NOT the strips, the drops kit) will do, but a recommended testkit Pool School - Test Kits Compared
would be even better if you have the bucks.

Please refer to Pool School and read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.