skimmer vacuum plate really stuck in skimmer...Help!!

Jun 4, 2014
Landisville, PA
:oops: I made a major error a few days ago when trying to use my vacuum plate. I wasn't thinking and used it after I took the skimmer basket out. :oops: Now I can not get it out. I have tried prying it out, using my air compressor, and have been thinking of trying to cut it out, but am afraid of busting the actual skimmer. Anyone have any ideas?? Short of having to break my concrete deck and replace the whole skimmer?? It's embarrassing...not paying attention. :-? Thanks for your time. I should add that I have tried these things after turning off the pump.

I did try to rotate it also, it is wedged so tight, I can't even do that.

- - - Updated - - -

I will try to post a picture tomorrow. It's getting too dark to get a good picture now. One other thing I failed to mention is that it is stuck in the skimmer for the deep end. I even used a vice grips to try and pull straight up.

How did it get stuck? Is the plate too small or is the skimmer missing a basket support ring?

You might be able to use hot or cold water to make things expand or contract. But that can cause excessive stress that might crack the skimmer.

I think James has a good idea with the hot water use a big pot, it might make the plate pliable. I would Use the vicegrips and attach a rope to them so you can pull on it without putting your hands in the water. I would start with moderately hot water say 140F and if it does not work try progressively hotter.

I don't want to sound dumb, but last time I had a prob like this it was because I did not turn off the skimmer pump first. The vacuum made me break the skimmer basket before it would come out.

Edit: Oh you said you turned off the pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're missing this part: Hayward SPX1082D Basket Support Ring.

It looks like the plate is cracked. If you can get something to hook in the hole and under the crack and pull up, the plate might open and release.

Hmmmm....I didn't notice a crack, but that's what a fresh set of eyes can do. As for the Basket support ring, I'll have to look that up. Never heard of it or was told I needed it. I may not get to this again before the weekend, but I will definitely let you know the outcome.

What does the support ring do?

I’m assuming that it’s a standard Hayward skimmer. If it is, the ring supports the basket. The outer diameter fits in the recessed edge and the basket fits in the support ring. It slips in from the skimmer mouth, not the top.

If it’s a different skimmer, then you might just need a larger vac plate.

What skimmer and basket do you have?

Well, I have not been able to remove the vac plate, but did now manage to find a crack the skimmer wall. Maybe that's why it won't come out. What now? I also just realized that the picture I posted a couple days ago shows the crack in the skimmer wall. I am ready to pull my hair out and close the pool down.:grrrr::drown::brickwall:

I think that I would lower the water level so that you can work dry. Cut the vac plate somehow. Maybe use something like a dremel. Then, the plate should come out in pieces. Patch the skimmer with a good repair glue or epoxy like pc11.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.