Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skimmer vacuum plate really stuck in skimmer...Help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer vacuum plate really stuck in skimmer...Help!!

I made a major error a few days ago when trying to use my vacuum plate. I wasn't thinking and used it after I took the skimmer basket out. Now I can not get it out. I have tried prying it out, using my air compressor, and have been thinking of trying to cut it out, but am afraid of busting the actual skimmer. Anyone have any ideas?? Short of having to break my concrete deck and replace the whole skimmer?? It's embarrassing...not paying attention. Thanks for your time. I should add that I have tried these things after turning off the pump.
    Lisa

16x32 rectangular pool in-ground. Vinyl lined.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: skimmer vacuum plate really stuck in skimmer...Help!!

can you get a small pry bar in there and pull straight up?

like one of these
    TEKTON 3346 Rolling Head Pry Bar Set, 4-Piece - - Amazon.com
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I did try that...to no avail. I was thinking of trying to cut it out, but am afraid I may damage the skimmer.
    Lisa

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Do you have any way to rotate it? I bet if you can get it to turn it should pop out. Also, if the hole where the hose goes, is threaded, you might find a piece of pipe that you can screw in and pry with.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Can you post a picture?

6. Back To Top    #6

I did try to rotate it also, it is wedged so tight, I can't even do that.

- - - Updated - - -

I will try to post a picture tomorrow. It's getting too dark to get a good picture now. One other thing I failed to mention is that it is stuck in the skimmer for the deep end. I even used a vice grips to try and pull straight up.
    Lisa

7. Back To Top    #7

How did it get stuck? Is the plate too small or is the skimmer missing a basket support ring?

You might be able to use hot or cold water to make things expand or contract. But that can cause excessive stress that might crack the skimmer.

8. Back To Top    #8

I used the vac plate without the skimmer basket in place because I wasn't thinking about what I was doing. Yeah it's just stuck in there and I just don't know what else to do.
    Lisa

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I think James has a good idea with the hot water use a big pot, it might make the plate pliable. I would Use the vicegrips and attach a rope to them so you can pull on it without putting your hands in the water. I would start with moderately hot water say 140F and if it does not work try progressively hotter.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't want to sound dumb, but last time I had a prob like this it was because I did not turn off the skimmer pump first. The vacuum made me break the skimmer basket before it would come out.

Edit: Oh you said you turned off the pump
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

11. Back To Top    #11

Just be careful with heat or cold as they could potentially crack the skimmer.

Also, even with the basket out, the plate should not get stuck.

12. Back To Top    #12

20160628_192521.jpg here is a picture of the plate in the skimmer
    Lisa

13. Back To Top    #13

Skippy says open up the basket on your pump and let the air in and see if that helps break the vacuum holding that plate down.

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

14. Back To Top    #14

You're missing this part: Hayward SPX1082D Basket Support Ring.

It looks like the plate is cracked. If you can get something to hook in the hole and under the crack and pull up, the plate might open and release.

15. Back To Top    #15

Hmmmm....I didn't notice a crack, but that's what a fresh set of eyes can do. As for the Basket support ring, I'll have to look that up. Never heard of it or was told I needed it. I may not get to this again before the weekend, but I will definitely let you know the outcome.

What does the support ring do?
    Lisa

16. Back To Top    #16

I’m assuming that it’s a standard Hayward skimmer. If it is, the ring supports the basket. The outer diameter fits in the recessed edge and the basket fits in the support ring. It slips in from the skimmer mouth, not the top.

If it’s a different skimmer, then you might just need a larger vac plate.

What skimmer and basket do you have?

17. Back To Top    #17

I don't know. The pool came with the house and the previous owners were of no help. So I've been learning on the fly.
    Lisa

18. Back To Top    #18

Well, I have not been able to remove the vac plate, but did now manage to find a crack the skimmer wall. Maybe that's why it won't come out. What now? I also just realized that the picture I posted a couple days ago shows the crack in the skimmer wall. I am ready to pull my hair out and close the pool down.
    Lisa

19. Back To Top    #19

I think that I would lower the water level so that you can work dry. Cut the vac plate somehow. Maybe use something like a dremel. Then, the plate should come out in pieces. Patch the skimmer with a good repair glue or epoxy like pc11.

20. Back To Top    #20

Will that repair hold once it's wet??
    Lisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast