Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand for sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand for sand filter

Can you buy the sand filter sand at lowes, or do you need to buy sand somewhere else for more money,...does it matter?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand for sand filter

You need plain old pool sand. I believe some Lowes and Home Depots have them, mine was really fouled at the start of this season so I replaced it, but I have to go to the pool store for it. I just got the economy stuff not the "special" stuff. And I will be staying on top of deep cleaning, it was something I neglected to do, but I won't make that mistake twice. There is a post on here about not all sands being equal you may want to search it up and see if anything inspiring is inside of it for you, but I went with the el cheapo sand and my pool in great form.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I want o say it was the Quikrete brand that wasn't performing correctly. I'll see if I can find the link.

My findings on how not all sand is created equal

There is a link to another good thread on the topic within that post, too.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

There are only two pool stores I town. None of the home improvement stores carry pool sand. So be careful if you're in a similar situation. One store swore up and down it was silica sand, but when I get there it's zeo. The other said they didn't carry silica, but when pressed they found a few bags. The few bags I got were dirty, I wish I classified it myself.

5. Back To Top    #5

As a FYI about the quickcrete, Yeah, there were a couple of reports about it being bad.

Dave had a conversation on the phone with the quickcrete rep. It appears as if a bad batch of Pool Sand did get distributed, but overall, they have a good quality procedure and there should be no reason to avoid it, unless you just want to be ultra safe.

Pool Sand is #20 silica. Anything smaller than #20 will get through the holes in the laterals and end up on the pool floor.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    As a FYI about the quickcrete, Yeah, there were a couple of reports about it being bad.

Dave had a conversation on the phone with the quickcrete rep. It appears as if a bad batch of Pool Sand did get distributed, but overall, they have a good quality procedure and there should be no reason to avoid it, unless you just want to be ultra safe.

Pool Sand is #20 silica. Anything smaller than #20 will get through the holes in the laterals and end up on the pool floor.
    Dave - if the smaller stuff gets vacuumed back into the filter would you expect it to stay gone? Or should I dredge it out?