Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Normal to see DE back in the pool after cleaning the filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Normal to see DE back in the pool after cleaning the filter?

So I cleaned my filter for the second time since it was installed last year. After I added the DE I noticed that the pool got cloudy. I'm running the filter its full cycle to see if it clears up, but is it normal to see DE back in the pool after adding it to a clean filter?

Thanks!
    22,000 gallon in ground pool with pebble finish. Pentair DE filter with Pentair VS pump. Built in the 70s but completely redone (including new pebble finish, equipment, and plumbing) in August 2015. K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Normal to see DE back in the pool after cleaning the filter?

The only time we've seen DE back in the pool is when the pool guy put DE in the wrong skimmer, and when one of the techs forgot to turn one of the levers - we have 2 levers that both have to be set to Skimmer 1 to send DE into the filter and not into the cleaner. When it's been done right, we haven't had any DE come back into the pool.
    21000 gal IG Pebble Sheen (Blue Surf), Pentair quad DE filter, Sta Rite Intellipro VS pump; Paramount PCC-2000 inground cleaner; Installed May 2016.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Normal to see DE back in the pool after cleaning the filter?

No, not normal. This should help, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach