Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water getting low. Leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water getting low. Leak?

Vinyl liner pool. This is our first year with this pool. I think there is a leak. There are two marks on skimmer, high and low water level marks. I had it on the high side mark and in 3 days the water went down one inch. I added water for about 6 hours and filled to high water mark on skimmer. In 3 days it when down 1 inch. This time I'm not going to add any water to see if it drops. What else can I do to find any leaks. If it levels out then I know therr is a rip in vinyl. The pipes were pressure tested in March when we bought the house and pool guy say, all good.
    Inground 30x60 vinyl W/2 French ends w/sitting spa. Built 2007. 2016 pentair electric 140 heat pump. Pentair VS-SVRS pump. System 3 modular filter SM series S7m120

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Water getting low. Leak?

It may just be do to evaporation. Here in AZ, I lose at least 1/2" per day. An inch in 3 days is within range.

You may wish to do the bucket test to verify though. Put a bucket on the step and add water to match the level. Wait a day or three and see if the level is the same in the bucket and the pool. Mark the bucket water level on the side of the bucket. With the bucket being on a step in the pool you are matching the sun exposure and evaporation of the pool. If both lose the same amount of water you don't have a leak.

Let us know the results and we can go from there.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

3. Back To Top    #3

I will do that pail thing. I know someone here would know a trick or 2

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool service guy is coming today. He wanted me to close down pump and mark the water line at skimmer. It's been two days and water didn't drop. That means plumbing leak. Underground. Will let you know.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have a leak below the water level, wouldn't it leak with the pump on or off? Check your waste port on your filter with the pump running. Make sure there is no water coming out of it when the pump is on and the multi-port valve is set to filter. If there is, check the spider gasket in the multi-port valve. My neighbor just had to replace his due to his wife turning the valve with the pump running. Good luck!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you find the leak? If so, what was it?
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart