Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Above Ground - On What?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Above Ground - On What?

Hi Everyone:

This is my second post. In my first post, I learned that the sod where the pool will be located must be removed to avoid settling and a nasty smell. After doing about one third of it by hand I rented a sod cutter and dug the rest of the sod out. That was fun.

I have an Intex Ultra Frame 12x24x52" above ground. It came with a ground tarp but I was planning to buy one of the "gorilla mats" that are favorably mentioned here, and putting that on top of the ground tarp.

I need to level the area where the sod came out. What type of medium should I use? Intex says no to sand so I was considering getting 1/4 minus gravel and use a plate compacter to pack it down. Does this seem like a decent plan?

Thanks for the help/advice, and sorry for the run-on post!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Above Ground - On What?

Why does Intex say no sand? I had a 15' round Intex on sand for 3 seasons, it worked just fine.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sandra under the pool it will be fine.. just not under the supports.. I place mine right on top of the grass with no issues or smell

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by John Blackout View Post
    I need to level the area where the sod came out. What type of medium should I use?
    A shovel, a level and a laser transit. Digging down is better than building up.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.