I shouldn't worry about this pH, right?

Apr 3, 2016
Baltimore MD
FC 3-6 (depending on night/morning)
CC 0
CH 300
TA 120
CYA 30 (sometimes 40 depending on that darn black dot)
pH 7.3
82 degrees and sparkling perfect clear.

yesterday I thought the pH test said 7.9 so I added 44 oz of muriatic acid. Now I'm at 7.3.

I left the the fountains on a bit more today to aerate. I should be ok with that pH right? Seems like I go into the 7.8 range weekly then a little acid and I'm fine. Either I misread the color or was too heavy handed.

Thoights on 7.3?

john

Correct John, you're okay. Based on your pH pattern and current TA, I suspect your pH will rise fairly quickly. At some point, when you get tired of the pH rising so fast, you can look at lowering TA which should help keep the pH from rising so fast. Please see the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.

So my pH is back to 7.5 already.

I did read up on the TA lowering process and it just seems to be lower the pH and then aerate. I usually do that by adding acid weekly and then using my deck jet fountains all day.

I'm not sure what else to do to stabilize pH. It is a new plaster pool and I think I read that can lead to this. Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes John, new plaster will naturally increase pH rather quickly on its own. Not much you can do about that but add MA on a routine basis. But for the TA lowering, it's typically most effective when the pH is allowed to increase all the way to 7.8 before hitting it (and TA) with the acid. When you do, try to dose it enough to drive the pH down to 7.0. By using that full spectrum of dosing it seems to help move the TA better/lower.

I have a plaster pool that was finished in late April. My PH was rising super fast at first. Needed daily acid dosing. Then I was adding acid every other day. Now that I have my TA worked down to 60 the PH is much more stable going 4-5 days between acid doses. I just did as above to work the TA down. When PH got to 7.8 I hit with enough acid to get down to 7.0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.