Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I shouldn't worry about this pH, right?

1. Back To Top    #1

I shouldn't worry about this pH, right?

FC 3-6 (depending on night/morning)
    CC 0
    CH 300
    TA 120
    CYA 30 (sometimes 40 depending on that darn black dot)
    pH 7.3
    82 degrees and sparkling perfect clear.

yesterday I thought the pH test said 7.9 so I added 44 oz of muriatic acid. Now I'm at 7.3.

I left the the fountains on a bit more today to aerate. I should be ok with that pH right? Seems like I go into the 7.8 range weekly then a little acid and I'm fine. Either I misread the color or was too heavy handed.

Thoights on 7.3?

john
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I shouldn't worry about this pH, right?

Correct John, you're okay. Based on your pH pattern and current TA, I suspect your pH will rise fairly quickly. At some point, when you get tired of the pH rising so fast, you can look at lowering TA which should help keep the pH from rising so fast. Please see the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Check out my threads. Thanks to Pat and others my TA dropped and my pH was steady.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

4. Back To Top    #4

Aw man, your pH is fine. It will come up on its own....
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

So my pH is back to 7.5 already.

I did read up on the TA lowering process and it just seems to be lower the pH and then aerate. I usually do that by adding acid weekly and then using my deck jet fountains all day.

I'm not sure what else to do to stabilize pH. It is a new plaster pool and I think I read that can lead to this. Not sure.

27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes John, new plaster will naturally increase pH rather quickly on its own. Not much you can do about that but add MA on a routine basis. But for the TA lowering, it's typically most effective when the pH is allowed to increase all the way to 7.8 before hitting it (and TA) with the acid. When you do, try to dose it enough to drive the pH down to 7.0. By using that full spectrum of dosing it seems to help move the TA better/lower.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a plaster pool that was finished in late April. My PH was rising super fast at first. Needed daily acid dosing. Then I was adding acid every other day. Now that I have my TA worked down to 60 the PH is much more stable going 4-5 days between acid doses. I just did as above to work the TA down. When PH got to 7.8 I hit with enough acid to get down to 7.0.
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck