First pool setup HELP

You'll want to get familiar with the TFP Pool School (link below) and ensure you have the proper test kit already in-hand (TF-100 link below), but here's a very down & dirty version of what to expect when pool is full of water:
- Add granular stabilizer for a minimum CYA target of 30.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
- Day 1, increase FC to 2-3 ppm with regular bleach, then on day 2 and beyond maintain FC around 4-5 ppm
- Adjust pH to about 7.5-7.7

That's a very basic intro without covering some other items like TA and CH. Once you have your test kit, you can post a full set of results and we'll be glad to get more detailed with chemical adjustments. Hope that helps.

Oh - Don't forget to update your profile signature with all of your pool equipment/info. :)

Sorry its a Summer Waves Elite 18 x 48. With an intex 16" 3000 GPH Sand filter and pump combo. Since everybody seems to upgrade lol
So that holds about 7600 gallons. That's getting up there in size, so make sure you get one of the recommended test kits and read/follow all about pool care. That's a lot of water to dump and refill if you don't do it right.

If you do what is listed in post #3 above you'll be okay to hop-in on day 1 after everything circulates. But soon though, you'll need that recommended test kit to maintain accurate levels. The pool store testing will almost certainly backfire ... just like test strips. I wouldn't waste my time with either one. Test your own water. You won't regret it.

Im thinking of taking a water sample to the local pool place for the first few times to make sure I do it right, good idea?
Short answer: NO. The pool $tore is not your friend. They exist by removing money from your wallet to pad their bank account. Plus, they are VERY unreliable on their testing methods. There is no guarantee that the person testing your water is trained in any way. Searching around on this site, will find that many people here have confirmed this. Get the recommended test kit and learn how to care for your own pool. And only put in chemicals that you understand by using the Pool Math.

Lastly, should i be able to swim the first day once we get it filled or no?
If you would go into the water as if it were your bathtub, then yes. But the sooner you treat the water with chlorine bleach, the sooner it will kill off anything bad that gets in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But my thing is, the water from my water hose will be pretty good, I know it won't have any FC or CYA, but what do I need to do first to get it swimable haha. Do i need to pour in the liquid bleach to get it to the level it needs, to be run it for a couple of hours test it, then check the PH and TA adjust them accordingly with Baking Soda and Borax and Muriactic Acid. And then wait a couple more hours, check and then start the CYA process, I just need to know what steps to do, to be able to get to swimming. In what order and how long to wait in between each chemical

But I gave you those instructions above in post #3 back on the 26th. Did you never do those things yet?

Here's a very down & dirty version of what to expect when pool is full of water:
- Add granular stabilizer for a minimum CYA target of 30.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
- Day 1, increase FC to 2-3 ppm with regular bleach, then on day 2 and beyond maintain FC around 4-5 ppm
- Adjust pH to about 7.5-7.7

That's a very basic intro without covering some other items like TA and CH. Once you have your test kit, you can post a full set of results and we'll be glad to get more detailed with chemical adjustments. Hope that helps.

Hey Texas, I just read your post again haha. Once I add the CYA sock, can I go ahead and add the FC right away or do I need to wait a certain time first? And how long after I do this can I swim, do I need to wait the 24-48 hours for the CYA to be adjusted?

Yes, drop the prescribed amount of stabilizer in a sock right away to start it soaking. No need to wait on test it again right away. At the same time, add "some" bleach to increase FC to about 3 for today. Tomorrow if the CYA granules are all dissolved, then you can increase FC to about 4-5 ppm. You should also check the pH to make sure it's around 7.6-7.7. Always have the pump running when you add bleach (raise FC) or muriatic acid (to lower pH), and never add bleach and muriatic acid at the same time. Separate those two by about 20-30 minutes with good circulation.

But once you have the sock soaking and you've add some bleach to get to an FC of 3 .... hop in! Test the FC again afterwards though and increase back to 3 ppm if needed.

Remember - You'll need that test kit (TF-100) very soon to test those levels everyday. The summer heat will be very hard on your water and change it to green really quick without good test results. Important - Never let your FC drop below 2 ppm.

Let the pool fill-up to the skimmer first, then grab a sample and test it. New water might have a little FC, but not much. You'll need a couple gallons of bleach to hold you over for a couple days. You'll need the granular stabilizer (i.e. Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot pool sections), and perhaps some muriatic acid (also from Lowe's or Home Depot). I wouldn't buy much of anything else yet until you let the new water fill, add those initial chemicals as noted above, then go from there.
Muriatic Acid (Home Depot):

Muriatic Acid (Lowes):

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.