Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to tfp for my hot tub

1. Back To Top    #1

Amesville, ohio

New to tfp for my hot tub

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to do the tfp way for my hot tub. I started using it in my pool this summer and it's been working great. So, I'd like to try it with the hot tub, but I must admit after reading the above sticky I was pretty confused. So, any suggestions would be great. Since we got the hot tub we've had issues with what appears to be calcium deposits coating the bottom of the hot tub. It looks awful and is annoying and we've never gotten rid of it.

Here are my test numbers on a 300 gallon stand alone hot tub:

Ph: 8.2
    FC and tc: 0
    Ch: 50
    Ta: 90

I didn't test cya as we have a covered hot tub and we never use it during the day. If I need to still test it, let me know and I will, but I'm going to assume it's 0 since we just filled our hot tub 2 weeks ago (yikes, didn't mean to go so long before adding chemicals but Life happened) and haven't added anything.

Also what are borates? I read about them in the above sticky and I'm not sure what they are or what to ask for if I go to the pool place.

Thanks so much for the help.
    20,000 gallon above ground pool. Hayward power flow lx pump, 1.5 hp, sand filter. Tf-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: New to tfp for my hot tub

I have been using this process in my hot tub for several years now and it is great.
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Borates are add using 20 Team Mule Borax fro the grocery store laundry aisle.

More here, So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Sarasota, FL

Re: New to tfp for my hot tub

Got our new to us tub about 3 weeks ago. 325 gallons. First got TA in line. Then Borates and Ph since Borates will raise Ph. Poolmath made it easy. Trust it. Finally 6% bleach to 5 FC. Biggest difference from pool is much smaller quantity of chemical to get desired move in level. Did I say trust Poolmath ? . Now that it's balanced I add about 2 oz of bleach each nite after use, and maybe .5 oz of acid every couple of days as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    15000 gal in-ground rectangular concrete/pebble-tech pool. Hot Springs Prodigy 325 gal spa.