Lighting Question

brims

Jun 14, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
I'm putting together plans to build a pool and have some questions about lighting. I'm looking at the small LED lights that screw into a 1.5" piece of PVC in the wall. The lights are supposed to be 4" below the water surface, so water will obviously enter the PVC when the light is removed when the pool is full. How would the pipe usually be run to prevent it from filling a large portion of the pipe? I would think that water left cutoff from the rest of the pool with a light installed would grow all kinds of algae and the next time there was a removal, the pool would be innundated with that algae.

Nearly every type of pool light allows water into the conduit including the nicheless lights you are questioning. For this reason the light junction boxes are required to be 8" above the waterline, 4" above grade and have the conduit lines from the pool sealed with silicone or a rubber grommet.

Water in the conduit is rarely an issue so long as proper chemistry is maintained. There really isn't a good way to seal the niche but still allow for servicing in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.