Small Electrical Current Felt Near Pool Light

Gersh

Jun 26, 2016
Oviedo/Florida
I'm having an issue where a small electrical current can be felt if you put your hand real close to the pool light. It basically just makes your hand feel tingly. I had a pool company out to look at it. They disconnected the light and it could still be felt. They then cut the breaker to all the pool equipment and it could still be felt. They told me it must be from some outside source and I should call my power company. Before leaving, they told me that the transformer across the street has some settling issues and is probably the cause of the problem. Does anyone have any advice on how to resolve this issue?

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, it could be stray electrical voltage from a nearby source. I would call an electrician who understands electric code for pools to check bonding, grounding and electrical potential. More here, Pool School - Bonding vs Grounding

Adding your pool info to your signature will probably help more knowledgeable members help you better, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

So you called a lousy pool company. You should never feel any electricity near your pool if is properly bonded. Even if you were running live 120 vac into the pool you would feel nothing and be (marginally) safe with a properly bonded pool.

You have two problems with your pool:

First your pool is not properly bonded. Call a good electrician, one who understand pool bonding to inspect your pool and correct the bonding problem . THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE AND SHOULD BE ADDRESSED SOON. A large pool builder can often be a good source of references here. You need to have your pool properly bonded.

This is a link to show your electrician that explains to electricians how to test a pool for proper bonding: Swimming Pool Equipotential Bonding [Part 3 of 3, Testing], (28min:39sec) - YouTube

Second you have stray voltage. The electrician can look into that but its best to start with your power company if you turn off your main and it persists. They may or may not be able to eliminate the stray voltage, that is why it is important that your pool be properly bonded.

Shouldn't of stopped with killing power to only the pool. Keep shutting off breakers until there is no voltage coming off that pool light. I would be very surprised if killing power to your whole house did not stop stray voltage at that light. I would also be very scared at that point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.